Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you be upset with the daycare?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies

So, DD just turned 3 in Feb and goes to daycare. She came home last week saying that she didn't want to go back the next day because a little boy hit her. I asked her what happened and she said the boy hit her, poked her eye, and bit her shirt. I asked why and she said 'because he's a bad boy.' I asked if the teacher said anything to him and she said no. I explained to her that kids are not supposed to do those things and that if it happened again to tell the teacher. She was still upset so I assured her that either I or DH would say something to the teacher so that it doesn't happen again.

The next day DH dropped her off at daycare and he mentioned it to the teacher who works in the morning. He said that she was kind of rude about it and said she didn't know anything about it. I told him I would ask the afternoon teacher when I picked her up. Well, my sister calls and asked if she could go pick DD up and spend the afternoon with her since she was off work that day. Of course I said sure, she's a great aunt and DD loves spending time with her. My sister actually used to work at that same daycare (the main reason I put her there to begin with) so I asked her if she would ask the teacher since she used to work in that room and knows her anyway. She went to pick DD up and said something to that teacher and she said that the boy did hit her but didn't bite her shirt, he pinched her shirt... My sister asked why nothing was said about it and the teacher just kind of shrugged it off like it wasn't a big deal. Sister mentioned that when she was working there they had to do an incident report when anything happened and let the parents know - even if one child just said it happened and they didn't actually witness it happening. So anyway..sister goes to the front desk to mention it to the lady up there and they all apologized but just kind of shrugged it off.

I, personally, didn't make a big stink about it because both DH and sister mentioned it so they are aware that we know and were not exactly happy that we had to find out from DD and not from them. I'm still kind of upset about it though. I know that DD wouldn't make up stuff like that. Sure, she makes up crazy pretend play stuff, but not something like that. Plus, the teacher confirmed that it did happen.

Would you have been upset? What would you have done?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:00 AM
They probably talked to the other child's parents. If it didn't leave a mark then they probably felt like it was handled and not something that needed to be brought to your attention as for the pinching the shirt I'm not surprised in the least that they wouldn't bring it up it happiness and I'm sure it was dealt with. Just ask in the future that they keep you better informed.
Lizardannie1966
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:04 AM

What is it that you want done exactly?

They've all apologized and hopefully it doesn't happen again, but I'd imagine that with the age group your child is in, they see a lot of hitting, etc.

It shouldn't be ignored but again, is there something they're not doing that you want them to?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:04 AM
That's mainly why I didn't say anything because I know kids will be kids and there wasn't a mark or anything. I guess it just bothered me that nothing was said to us about it. When DH said something that morning, he asked that they keep an eye on her and to let us know if anything else happened.

Quoting Anonymous:

They probably talked to the other child's parents. If it didn't leave a mark then they probably felt like it was handled and not something that needed to be brought to your attention as for the pinching the shirt I'm not surprised in the least that they wouldn't bring it up it happiness and I'm sure it was dealt with. Just ask in the future that they keep you better informed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Yes, telling us about it. Had it just been one hit, ok fine. But for all that to happen from one other child and nothing was said to us? Not fine.

It's not like I went in there raising hell because kids will be kids, I would've liked to have found out from them and not DD.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

They've all apologized and hopefully it doesn't happen again, but I'd imagine that with the age group your child is in, they see a lot of hitting, etc.

It shouldn't be ignored but again, is there something they're not doing that you want them to?

MelanieMans
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Yes, I use to work at a daycare and I always told kids to keep their hands to themselves if the hit other kids and told the parents of both kids what happened and said I had a talk with the kid who hit and told them it wasnt nice to hit others. Never had a problem with it after that.

Lizardannie1966
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Talk with the director of the center and ask that you be given notification of when these incidents occur. Explain that you're not comfortable with finding out from your child only and the demeanor of the teacher and other workers when it was brought to their attention.

Incidents like this one are going to happen possibly again and even perhaps frequently because of the age group the children are in.

So outside of being told what is going on, which IS your right, is there anything else that you feel should have been done?

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, telling us about it. Had it just been one hit, ok fine. But for all that to happen from one other child and nothing was said to us? Not fine.

It's not like I went in there raising hell because kids will be kids, I would've liked to have found out from them and not DD.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:28 AM
And that's what my sister said. It's not like she was really hurt but I just felt like I should've been told by them.

Quoting MelanieMans:

Yes, I use to work at a daycare and I always told kids to keep their hands to themselves if the hit other kids and told the parents of both kids what happened and said I had a talk with the kid who hit and told them it wasnt nice to hit others. Never had a problem with it after that.

fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:31 AM

No I wouldn't be upset.  I find that to be pretty minor.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this
No, the main thing was I was not told. Like I said, kids will be kids and I'd be ignorant to think something like that would never happen again. I would just like to know about it next time and be assured that appropriate action was taken i.e. something said to aggressor and both parents made aware of the situation. I feel like they just shrugged it off.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Talk with the director of the center and ask that you be given notification of when these incidents occur. Explain that you're not comfortable with finding out from your child only and the demeanor of the teacher and other workers when it was brought to their attention.

Incidents like this one are going to happen possibly again and even perhaps frequently because of the age group the children are in.

So outside of being told what is going on, which IS your right, is there anything else that you feel should have been done?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

MelanieMans
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:34 AM
I would want them to tell me if my kid got hit too and I would at least want one of them to have a talk with the kid who hit and tell him that was unacceptable. How else is a 3 year old supposed to learn if you dont correct bad behavior?
Quoting Anonymous:

And that's what my sister said. It's not like she was really hurt but I just felt like I should've been told by them.

Quoting MelanieMans:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)