Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone else experienced this?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:56 AM
  • 6 Replies

I have always been extremely active in church. I enjoy music, events, classes....all of it. I've directed music groups, been in the choir, sang in trios, quartets, etc... I've also participated in pretty much all types of events. Basically, if I was asked, I did it. Now, the first point that's important is that I still love church and go to the service every Sunday. I enjoy it very much. However, I have not been participating in anything anymore. I am not in the choir. I have not been going to Wednesday evening services. I haven't been singing much (maybe every other Sunday I sing either a solo or with my parents). I have been turning down roles in events and activities, and I don't even remember the last time I made it to Sunday school.

I am not backing away because of any problems, but to be honest, I work all week and when I leave work, I don't want to have any obligations. I am tired. I am raising two kids and keeping a nice home. I want my time off work to be MY time with my family and to do what I want to do. I would sing in the choir, but I don't want to go to choir for and hour and a half on Sunday afternoons. I can learn the music just fine with the music book and the cd. Everything else just doesn't sound like anything I want to do because I have things on my agenda that I need to get done.

Here's the kicker, my dad is the pastor. I am held to a higher standard and am supposed to set an example. I want to do this, but I honestly feel like I would have a breakdown if I took on anything more than what I already do. And my family and home are my first priority. I believe that if you have so much on your plate that you aren't doing your best as a parent and a homemaker, then you are doing too much.

Have you ever backed out of obligations? Did you eventually get involved again?

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Yes I have, it happens

garnet83
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Were people understanding?

Quoting vegaswife2011:

Yes I have, it happens

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Lol, not always..

SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:14 AM

If you are too tired, something will suffer. Better to back away from the church stuff (I don't mean stop going ... just the extra stuff) and stay focused on the family

However, having said that, it's important that you have something that you enjoy outside the family unit. Maybe pick just ONE thing to do instead of over extending yourself. 

BKozICan
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Read the Boundaries book. If it is an obligation, it is not a blessing. Perhaps the biggest blessing you can do is bless your children with your time. 

I dropped a lot of obligations when I realized this. The world does not end because you aren't singing a hymn on Sunday, washing chalices after communion or working in the nursery. Someone else will or everyone will survive without. I feel more refreshed now and am doing different things to bless my community--probably more than before.

garnet83
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:24 AM

This is sort of my thought process. What kind of example am I setting if I'm not giving my best to my family?

Quoting BKozICan:

Read the Boundaries book. If it is an obligation, it is not a blessing. Perhaps the biggest blessing you can do is bless your children with your time. 

I dropped a lot of obligations when I realized this. The world does not end because you aren't singing a hymn on Sunday, washing chalices after communion or working in the nursery. Someone else will or everyone will survive without. I feel more refreshed now and am doing different things to bless my community--probably more than before.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)