Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is 3 too young for ballet & tap dancing?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you think 3 is too young to start ballet?

Options:

Yes

No

Other.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 24

View Results

My DD watches her 3 older bros in sports and wants to be involved something. Well, the only thing I can find (that I trust) is ballet. There are other options, but I am just not confident in full sports or gymnastics for a 3 year old.

Its classes are twice a week for an hour. I stay the whole time and she is begging for something, but I have a faint hesitation bc she's just 3 (Bday in November). 

Do you think she's too young?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ivylynn0711
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Noi don't think she's to young. I mean if it is something she would like to do then i owuld let her do it she can always quit if it becomes to much, but you will never know unless you let her try.

krissy920
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I started at 3 and did it til about 7 or 8 when i decided i was done. You cantr put on age on stuff like this, its all about the child and thier maturity. Give it a try and see how he or she does :)

AMCMSM
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I started DD in itty bitty ballet at 3. She LOVED it!

Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:21 AM

My DD started dance when she was 3 and she loves it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:21 AM
No. It's not too young. She will start in creative movement. It would be good for her.
thetrollcat
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I taught dance and coached gymnastic team. The gymnastic school hear has the BEST PROGRAM for toddlers and preschoolers. They are full of fun and games and very safe and motivating. I had my youngest in their program until she hit elementary then took her out as after a certain age they start focusing on gymnastic itself. She wants to do other things. But she LOVED their program as a preschooler.

Ballet is alright kids like it for awhile but grow bored of it. A really good dance studio or teacher will keep them motivated and not focus on turning them into professional child dancers. Not many studios offer creative movement classes just for fun. 

Sounds to me you are looking more for creative movement and fun classes. They are there but avoid those that thrive on competiiton.

lauren.m
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:22 AM
I think that is a great age to start them in it.
Destiny907
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:22 AM

LIttle girls that age love to dance!!!!! It's expensive however... they expect you get like $100 costumes for the recitals and all....

LOL but I found karate to be the best choice later on down the road- nothing like one being able to defend themselves! hahahahaha

Josie_P
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:23 AM
My son is 2 and in gymnastics! Definitely not too young!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Annettey19
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:24 AM

No. I say get them started early so they can discover what they like. I waited way too long, and by the time I was wanting to do things, everyone else had been doing them for years. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)