Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O should the kids know the parents are divorcing because of cheating?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:19 AM
  • 40 Replies
Someone mentioned in another thread that the kids should be told the reason their parents are divorcing is because one cheated on the other.

Do you think a child should know that and if so at what age should they know?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Not unless they are older and in special circumstances..
audreesmama
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:20 AM
When they're old enough to understand why cheating on a spouse is terrible-- 18+ IMO. That's when dd will know.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:21 AM
2 moms liked this

No.  All they need to know is that it isn't their fault.  Kids shouldn't be brought into grown up problems.  Kids also shouldn't be forced to hear their parents talk bad about each other either.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:21 AM

no, they don't need to know

generally parents only disclose that when they are trying to poison the relationship between the child and the "cheater"

theosgirl45
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:22 AM

My parents seperated when I was 10 and the divorce was finalized after I turned 11.  We didn't know my Dad cheated(we as in everyone, including my mom) almost until the divorce was final.  Even then Dad didn't come clean about it until Mom confronted him with the evidence.  Once she knew we knew too.

In vain he thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:23 AM

No, that's not something children need to know.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:24 AM
No, my mom told on my dad and that just out us kids in an even more awkward position.
Kerannmer
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:25 AM

No. It's none of their business, and the parent's should keep it to themselves.

My mom cheated on my dad; they divorced when I was 3. I only found this out, even though I suspected for years, when I was 34. Still, it's not my business, which is why I only suspected, never inquired.

Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:25 AM
That's how I feel, there is no reason to go into the reasons of divorce no matter what they are with the kids because in my eyes it's not something they need to know.

Quoting jillbailey26:

No.  All they need to know is that it isn't their fault.  Kids shouldn't be brought into grown up problems.  Kids also shouldn't be forced to hear their parents talk bad about each other either.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tristahope
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Quoting jillbailey26:

I agree!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)