Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

TO The Moms who spend under $500 a month on food

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 267 Replies

How hell do you do it????  How many in your family?  We are a family of 5 and find it very hard to stay on a budget.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:13 PM
6 moms liked this
I spend around $300 a month for 5 people

I do it by eating meat free 3 times a week. utilizing sales and eating cuts of meat like thighs instead of breast. Growing our own veggies etc
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I make a lot of things from scratch, buy in bulk, and don't buy much junk food. We're a family of 5 also.

Aamy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

We spend $500 to $600 a month on a family of 4. We dont really set a budget for food. We buy what we like and want. I do try to buy store brand name items for some things and coupon when i remember them. 

caito
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

We're a family of three

that's how we do it.

:)

edelweiss23
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this
We buy in bulk, grow our own veggies, eat simply, rarely eat junk food.

We are a family of 5
Momma2Warriors
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I buy clearance meat and stock up on Bogo specials. Make a menu for a week and stick with it. Buy the cheapest product and not be a brand snob. Cut out the junk. ie soda Buy local meats and produce.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:17 PM
It's probably easier for me now because my kids are small so portions and food are limited. Our grocery bill is from 2-400 a month. I always plan ahead and write out what is needed and often coordinate ingredients so they can be used for future dinners in the week. As for snack and drink, we mainly just get water, milk and 100% juice.
LizS84
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:17 PM
I pay about $300 for 3 people and sometimes that is a challenge.
Mystres
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:17 PM
2 moms liked this

Coupons.  I shop in Bulk. 

So when Mac and Cheese is only 20ยข a box after Sale price, and coupon that doubled.  I get 40 boxes. 

Same when I find Cereal after Sale price and Coupon for only 99ยข a box.  i get 20 boxes.  Yes i have a Pantry/Storage room to keep it all in. 

This way i have these items for the next several months.  Meaning when i want it, I dont have to run out and pay Full price for it.  Saving me money.  It takes a while.  but once you have a good stock pile of things going you will be set.

I didnt go shopping for the past 4 months for any thing but Milk because i had a nice stockpile going that we were able to live off of it.  now that i have used some of it, it is time to stock up some more.

The only thing i pay full price for is Fresh Meat, Fruit, Veggies.

ksueditz
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:18 PM
3 moms liked this

i shop once a month. i buy whatever meat that is on sale. i portion out meals and freeze them. i make most foods f/ scratch. i also shop at aldi's, no name brands. last year we bought fresh fruit/veggies f/ a farmer's market. this year we're growing our own veggies. i spend about $250-350 per month for a family of 7.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN