Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you want to know?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies

If your child was in Daycare and that  daycare facility was over in their number of children per what the state allows?

The same is true of my question but regards a teen residential home.....troubled teens at that.  Some who have drug abuse issues, some with sex abuse, some even in gangs...

You're the Senior staff member who has worked for this facility for over a year.  Then they bring in more girls than what the state allows per house staff on duty.  You approach the director with concerns and even call the state for an interpretation of the regulations only.  You share your findings with the director to inform them they are not in compliance with the state....days later, they ask for your resignation.

You've had a huge impact on the residents as well as the parents.  The parents pay good money... would you want to know if you were the parent of that teenager?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dbrown1989
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I completely understand this situation. I would have reported it and happily been fired as a result of it. They NEEDED to be reported and I would be following up to make sure something was done to fix it.

If I was a parent, YES I would want to know. My kid is living there trying to get help, I would have EVERY right to know what is going on in that house. As the parent I too would report them. And let them know they fired a good staff person for reporting it.

Situations like these really get under my skin. There is nothing I hate more than people saying they're helping people when really, all they're doing is trying to make a dollar.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I see where you're going and it's not the appropriate direction.

Did you resign?  Are they giving you severance? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:44 PM
I don't know much about this but I'd say I agree with this statement. But I'd probably be a little more understand if I truly believe the home was legitimately trying to help 1-2 more kids at the risk of going over. Still not right and a high risk. I get that. I'm just saying if that's the reason and I feel it's genuine I'd be more understanding.
If its for that extra dollar I'd be pretty livid.

Quoting dbrown1989:

I completely understand this situation. I would have reported it and happily been fired as a result of it. They NEEDED to be reported and I would be following up to make sure something was done to fix it.

If I was a parent, YES I would want to know. My kid is living there trying to get help, I would have EVERY right to know what is going on in that house. As the parent I too would report them. And let them know they fired a good staff person for reporting it.

Situations like these really get under my skin. There is nothing I hate more than people saying they're helping people when really, all they're doing is trying to make a dollar.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I do not wish to be divisive to the group home itself.  But wondered my own moral obligation to what is really best for those girls.  Thank you for your input.

Quoting dbrown1989:

dbrown1989
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:50 PM

They have a limit on how many kids can be there for safety reasons...and if these are troubled teens...and there's not enough staff? That's asking for trouble and fights and lawsuits. They should know better honestly. That and they're trying to teach them to respect the rules? Come on now.

It is for the extra dollar, every extra kid is extra money.

ETA: Totally didn't mean to sound so bitchy towards you...lol but this crap really gets under my skin. I work in this type of field and this shit pisses me off to no end.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't know much about this but I'd say I agree with this statement. But I'd probably be a little more understand if I truly believe the home was legitimately trying to help 1-2 more kids at the risk of going over. Still not right and a high risk. I get that. I'm just saying if that's the reason and I feel it's genuine I'd be more understanding.

Quoting dbrown1989:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Yes I would want to know. I work in a nursing home if we are understaffed that puts our residents at risk.

I feel it's the same for a day care and a group home. There are state regulations for a reason. I would want to know.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Well there words of resignation were in place of saying "you're fired."  I had not broken any rules, was highly esteemed by every house staff as well as the teachers, in addition to each teen resident within the facility.  I did not work full time as it was honestly a ministry.  I took measures to hold the office accountable for the very thing we are there to teach the residents.  The money is not the issue at all.

Quoting Anonymous:

I see where you're going and it's not the appropriate direction.

Did you resign?  Are they giving you severance? 

dbrown1989
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I know what you mean, but those rules are so not meant to be broken. There is so much wrong with breaking that one rule, I could go on for days. Good luck with this whole situation though, I hope it turns out alright for everyone invloved. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I do not wish to be divisive to the group home itself.  But wondered my own moral obligation to what is really best for those girls.  Thank you for your input.

Quoting dbrown1989:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I just want to do right by the residents and the families who have entrusted their teens.  I agree, the state regulations are  there for a reason.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes I would want to know. I work in a nursing home if we are understaffed that puts our residents at risk.

I feel it's the same for a day care and a group home. There are state regulations for a reason. I would want to know.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:58 PM
No. I see your point and I agree. Just saying I can see how the lines may get blurred. An it's still not ok. But also I don't think we put enough into rehabilitating troubled teens or even adults. I'd assume the amount of such facilities are inadequate. But it's still not smart to risk getting shut down and not helping any teens because you were trying to take in 1-2 more than you should.
I get your frustration. I'd say it's valid too. And again I'm not too knowledgable about this sort of thing so I'm sure there's plenty that I'm not considering. But just from what I know I'd say they need to just stick to the rules an the limits.

Quoting dbrown1989:

They have a limit on how many kids can be there for safety reasons...and if these are troubled teens...and there's not enough staff? That's asking for trouble and fights and lawsuits. They should know better honestly. That and they're trying to teach them to respect the rules? Come on now.

It is for the extra dollar, every extra kid is extra money.

ETA: Totally didn't mean to sound so bitchy towards you...lol but this crap really gets under my skin. I work in this type of field and this shit pisses me off to no end.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting dbrown1989:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)