Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How old were your kids when they first spent the night without you?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:39 PM
  • 20 Replies
I have no idea what the normal age is to let your child go stay with your parents or another family member for a night or two. I have two kids ages 4 years and 4 months. I trust my parents and my in-laws and my daughter (older child) stays there and loves it...but I cant imagine being ready for my baby to do the same. We had plans months ago to go to a hotel in Chicago for our anniversary tonight. I thought I would be able to handle it when he was 4 months old...but now that the time has come I canceled our plans. How old were your kids when they stayed the night somewhere without you?
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kierri
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:41 PM

My daughter was about a year and a half when the MIL took her to Oklahoma for the weekend. She did great and I can trust my MIL with anything. I only waited so long because I breastfed her for the first year.

Mamabear010
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:42 PM

He is 3 and still hasn't. But it's more to do with a lack of interest. My in laws just now started asking, conveniently around the time we started potty train. But the kid has never been away from both parents for more than 3 or 4 hours. So we have to work our way up to over night visits.

SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:43 PM

He was rushed to a more specialized hospital within hours of his birth. He stayed there for two weeks, so I had no problem allowing him to stay with his grandparents when he came home. 

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I'd say each of them were around 6 months when my mom or MIL had them overnight if we had a wedding to go to for example.

mom_to_kenzie
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Dd stayed with my mom at 2 weeks old..and around 3 or 4 months she started going regularly one night a weekend so dh and I had time together. When she was around a year old, (my dad took her too before this) my dad would start taking her a few days at a time because he lived a couple hours a way. It stayed this way until we moved about three years ago.

Ds has stayed with people only a handful of times. We live so far away from everyone that we only get back to visit once or twice a year..

Ds#2 will be the sane as ds I'm sure.
CheesyKitty
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:47 PM
18 months. When she could express intrest in going with them. Now it's almost a weekly thing that someone takes her for a night.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IWantOneMorePlz
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:49 PM

My sister took my oldest when she was 6 weeks old so we could have a "first night out without baby."  My second one was about 4 months old.

Ber-Lynn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:50 PM
My daughter was 5 months. We had a wedding to go to for our best friends. Her aunt watched her, and I think I drove her crazy with all my text and phone calls to check in.
Jennyanne322
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:50 PM
DS was about 4-5 months. He stayed at my dad and stepmoms house for the weekend. We made an arrangement when I was pregnant with him for them to take him when I worked weekends. They live about 45 minutes away. DS even has his own bedroom and you room there. He loves it.
Mrspotatolips
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:50 PM
I'll let you know when it happens. DS is 11 months.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)