Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how old to play outside alone?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM
  • 26 Replies

we live in a quit small town. we live on a semi busy street where cars will go by faster then 30. my neighbors have two girls 4(just turned four last week) and 7. they let them play out side all day and after dark alone! they come over to my house go in and out and play in my back yard. my ds is 8 and is allowed to play outside. he stays where he is supposed to and checks in all the time. 

i think 4 is way to young and her parents should be outside with her. the other day i went out side and she was half way down the street. i had to chance her down and have her come back. they also dont feel them lunch and they are always dirty and hungry. 

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommytotwonow
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:05 PM

bump

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Honestly, and I will probably get bashed for this because these women bash everything. But my kids won't play outside alone until they are really old. We have live animals in the woods behind our house, bears have been seen playing in people's backyards. Even with things fenced in I don't trust. We also have a trailer park about two miles down the mountain from us that has six supposed sex offenders in it. I know two miles is along way but I don't trust.

mommytotwonow
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:08 PM

i dont blame you! 

do you think 4 is to young in the situation I described?

Quoting wkukid:

Honestly, and I will probably get bashed for this because these women bash everything. But my kids won't play outside alone until they are really old. We have live animals in the woods behind our house, bears have been seen playing in people's backyards. Even with things fenced in I don't trust. We also have a trailer park about two miles down the mountain from us that has six supposed sex offenders in it. I know two miles is along way but I don't trust.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:08 PM
My kids are 9,8,5,5. They play outside alone as long as I can see and hear them thru the windows. We live on 26 acres and it would take quite an effort for them to get to the road. There is nothing of interest off the property and they stay within the tree line around my house that I have set as their boundary.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Chantilly1
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:10 PM

my son is 8 and he is only allowed to play in the backyard alone - we have a huge backyard though so he don't mind. 

But if he wants to ride his bike or go to the park than either myself or his 15 yr old sister takes him

mommytotwonow
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:10 PM

that sound fine to me. we live right on a busy street thou....

Quoting Anonymous:

My kids are 9,8,5,5. They play outside alone as long as I can see and hear them thru the windows. We live on 26 acres and it would take quite an effort for them to get to the road. There is nothing of interest off the property and they stay within the tree line around my house that I have set as their boundary.

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:11 PM

No, I don't think a child should be alone outside until at least six.

Quoting mommytotwonow:

i dont blame you! 

do you think 4 is to young in the situation I described?

Quoting wkukid:

CuriousArentYa
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:11 PM

My kids are 12,7,6 &6 they play outside alone now. They are only allowed to play in the backyard alone. The backyard is fenced in, the gates have keyed locks and our dogs are back there. 

Firewoman33
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:11 PM

If the parents are that bad it might be better that the kids are outside playing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)