Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You know what ticks me off?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies

The public aid systems in place to help those who are not making enough to support themselves.  It goes out of its way to help those considered a minority group but a good, hardworking, down on luck citizen comes in and suddenly there are hoops or they can't bend rules (that they had just bent for someone else) or any number of other things we've witnessed.  

Case and point:  My family.  My husband separated from the military after 9 1/2 years of service (before you go off on he should have stayed in and stuff, he was a nuke mechanic which means that when the ship is gone, he is gone.  The new underway schedule he was given when they were trying to get him to re-up showed he would be gone a good part of the year between deployments and work-ups and duty days.)  He was smart about it and got a job starting at $45/hr before he got out, with a guarantee start date for one month after he separated (he had been gone most of the year for work already and wanted some time with the family, so understandable to take one month of his leave that was saved up- he sold back the rest).  They never called him in.  He tried to contact them and all he got was his start date was "imminent."  So he goes looking for a new job, we get on WIC, and he keeps trying to get unemployment to pay him, which he had gotten approved for right after separating.  He tried the phone line.  Nothing.  Tried email.  Nothing.  Then he went in and while all the "minorities" got good service, they took one look at the white guy and gave him a photocopy of the website that he had already tried and told to go home and try that.  

Fast forward to yesterday.  He goes in to the office to try and get our kids on state health care (thanks to the Obama administration, health care for our family equates to nearly 2 car payments and we cannot afford it on the meager salary he gets).  What he found was that most of the people in there were in brand new, brand name clothes with fancy new smart phones.  With the exception of a few older couples in there for Medicare, the majority were there to work the system.  He had to wait longer than many of them.  In the mean time he saw a family of 5 nonworking adults work on getting food stamps for all five of them (all under the same roof), a few couples in to get food stamps for each of them (one of them was claiming their parent's address so according to papers they were only getting stamps for one member in that house), and many others who were getting more aid than they should have considering they were doing nothing to live within their means, sporting fancy this and that and obviously brand new everything.  Then my hubby gets his turn (btw, he had to take off work for this, and he's nursing along his work boots from his sea-duty days which were old and worn when he was on sea-duty 3 1/2 years ago... this is how much we're having to cut corners) and, while our kids get medical insurance help, we don't qualify for food stamps by a few dollars.  There was no "lets see what we can do" or "if we just change that number there..."  We have second hand phones (my hubby's data plan is grandfathered into that for a few dollars and a remnant of a need from when he was having to travel the globe for his work in the Navy).  

We buy all our clothes off clearance racks or from the thrift store.  We have a place to live because we were able to get into low income housing and we do our darnedest to make every dollar stretch.  Our kids are clothed mostly off Christmas and birthdays stuff (bought by friends and family... we couldn't afford Christmas gifts this past year) as well as what is given to us (not the fancy Gap Kids and stuff we apparently should be buying so we can qualify for aid).  We are busting our butts to live within the means we have ($2600 a month ion the West Coast doesn't go far and 50 hours a week is the most he is allowed).  You know what they told my husband after telling him we don't qualify?  We need to sell our vehicle and I need to be working full time.  No one else got that.  They got more minutes on their cell phone plan and the next bought of food stamps.  I have 2 kids at home I am trying to get ready for kindergarten, I can't afford to work (even if they help with childcare, how am I supposed to afford the gas if I even get a job?)  

SO I'm a little ticked that it seems like the system hubby and I, as well as our families, have paid into for years won't give us the aid we deserve.  We don't want the aid.  We'd love to be able to survive without it and I HATE having to use WIC and stuff.  But, as hard working Americans who are trying to get our feet back under us, we need it.  Why isn't it available to anyone who is actually try to better themselves?!?  (Yes I know not everyone on aid is like that, but there seems to be a large amount of moochers who get more than they work for and seem content to do so.)  It is supposed to be enough to help you get back on your feet, not be your feet.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:56 PM
3 moms liked this

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:57 PM

That's about how my husband felt yesterday.

Quoting Anonymous:

cyork2
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this
holy crap. use paragraphs
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Haha, sorry, rant paragraph, I'll fix that...

Quoting cyork2:

BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol. This.

I promise to read if you do. I can't stand that shit. 

Quoting cyork2:

sstef126
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:03 PM

TOO DAMN LONG

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Sorry.  I was typing like the wind hoping to get it all down and saved before either my computer (which happens to be old and cranky) or my cheap internet made it vanash.  I hit the go button and then remembered spell check and paragraphs.  Hope this is a bit better now.  Haha

Quoting BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs:

Lol. This.

I promise to read if you do. I can't stand that shit. 

Quoting cyork2:

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:10 PM
3 moms liked this
And you don't know those other families situations or what exactly they were there for.you cant base what you should get off of what someone else gets.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
asaffell
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:15 PM

ok.

Chantilly1
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:15 PM

sorry you and your family are going through a rough patch. I hope things get better 

hugs mama 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)