Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it rude to ask someone to throw you a bridal shower?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies

Poll

Question: Is it rude to ask someone to throw you a bridal shower?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 27

View Results

My SIL (DH's sister) is about to get married. We are not close, we are friendly but we just don't have much in common, that may change if/when she has children but for now, we kind of live in two different worlds.

Anyway, she messaged me on facebook, we aren't even friends on facebook, asking if I would throw her a bridal shower. I am not her maid of honor, nor am I her bridesmaid, I will be at the wedding as a normal guest. I haven't responded but isn't it rude to ask someone to throw you a bridal shower, particularly someone who isn't even in the bridal party?

I am not sure if I am going to do it, I probably will, mostly because it will give me an excuse to buy that chocolate fountain I saw the other day at the store, but I just thought it was kind of rude.

I am getting asked this a lot yes she has a MOH and 2 brides maids but the MOH and the 1 bridesmaid live out of town and the other bridesmaid is having surgery the week before the wedding. But she has 4 aunts in the area, no sister but a couple female cousins

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:06 PM

BUMP!

MrsBridges19
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Yes.  It's tacky too.

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Does she have bridesmaids? I think its incredibly strange that they're not just doing it

Suzy_Sunshine
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:08 PM

It is very rude and also pretty unusual. 

Can you think of some reason she wants you to serve as hostess? Are you in a stronger financial position than her bridal party or her mother?

(No, her mother can not serve as the hostess but she can pay for the costs the bridal party incurs.)

Destiny907
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:08 PM

oh boy that IS rather rude.   Is your Mother in law still alive?  Seems like her own mother and sisters if any OR really close galpals would do this! 

Wow- strange she should ask you to.  Unless her brother, your husband, is her only sibling?

two4one
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Very rude and ppresumptious. Sounds like no one in her bridal party wants to throw her one. However, if you are okay doing it, then do it.

IsmellP00h
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Id be takin back like what? Lol where do you get off asking Me of all people who you barely know and have a connection with bitch please! Lol yea it's awkward, rude?? idk but weird hell yes :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I thought it was the MOH's job

PinkyPan
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Very rude and I would decline. Her maid of honor should be handling the shower or perhaps even her mother.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Yes, a MOH and 2 brides maids but the MOH and the 1 bridesmaid live out of town and the other bridesmaid is having surgery the week before the wedding.

Quoting elephantmamaof2:

Does she have bridesmaids? I think its incredibly strange that they're not just doing it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)