Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Seasoned Co-Sleeping moms!

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:18 PM
  • 22 Replies

I was reading this (http://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/109714/9_safe_cosleeping_tips_to) article on The Stir, about safe co sleeping tips. I have co-slept with my 9 month old a few times when she isn't feeling well, so I wanted to make sure I was doing it right. Anyway, in the article it said, "Baby is best off being next to mom at all times because mothers have been shown to be uniquely aware of baby, even in the deepest sleep. Ask seasoned co-sleeping moms about the times they've caught their baby as they rolled toward the edge -- and THEN woke up and realized what happened."

So how about it? Have you ever done something like this in your sleep, then woke up?

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bchic24
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Heck yeah! I've woke up to find myself already hanging onto my son attempting to roll off. I wake up to the littlest things. My hubby was out of the country until our son was 2 months old and his first night in bed next to him he almost rolled over on top of him! I was pushing him away before I was fully awake and then had to hit him numerous times to wake him up and tell him he was about to get sent to the couch lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IhartU
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I am aware at all times where the baby is in the bed. I usually would have them cradled in my arm as I lay on my side in the middle of the bed but would wake up often just to make sure we hadn't moved close to the edge. I don't get these people who just lay their tiny baby on the other side of bed and then sleep on their half- that's dangerous. The point of co-sleeping is to be in contact with your child and in that way, you ARE more aware of what's going on with their breathing and movements.

hismommy2010
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I've co-slept with my son since he was brought home from the hospital. He is now 3 years old.

I co-sleep - following all the safety rules. He sleeps by the wall and i'm on the outside of the bed.

There was a time when he rolled over on top of me, and started to fall off the bed and I caught him. I was deep in sleep, and didn't even know exactly what was happening, but I immediately grabbed him and stopped him from going on to the floor.

Co-sleeping has been awesome in many ways. I breastfed, so it helped in that area. We all got so much sleep that was better then not co-sleeping. If he wakes in the night, he looks at me and lays right back down.

We snuggle at times, and i enjoy that close-ness. I will continue to co -sleep until my son no longer wants to.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:27 PM
Honestly no, only because I never let them sleep at the edge. I'd never fall asleep lol! Dh was nearly as good as me waking up when the kids needed something when we were cosleeping. We got the best sleep cosleeping. The kids were easier to get back to sleep because just a little noise woke me up. They didn't have to full out cry for me to nurse them, so they never fully woke up. For me cosleeping was the best :-)
redneckmama4
by Loree on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:29 PM
I am a light sleeper, so I notice all things. Like if I try to take a nap, I say I sleep with one eye open because I never fully go to sleep.

I did cosleep with all four of ours without incident.

Redneck hippie mama to four rowdy farm kids. My husband has tagged along my awesome journey for 14 years this month and we enjoy the simple and natural life. Ask about my rockin' blog giveaway...check it out!!

PISCIS29
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Yes. With all three. Only bc I would sleep hugging them lightly. I'm a pretty light sleeper even when I'm exhausted. But I have always felt when my kids got too close to the edge. I gently tuck them closer to me and reinsert the pillow bumper I have.
Saerise
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I don't cosleep often, but I have done that. 

Kermitthemom23
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Mine used my arm as a pillow. If they left the arm I woke up. Also you cant roll over your own arm. Joint just doest bend like that
svolkov
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:33 PM
This only 3 kids. I use this thing called "magic bumpers" when they were small. Tjey are foam that goes under the edge of yhe sheet so baby cant roll off. I also sleep with my foam mattress on the floor.

Quoting redneckmama4:

I am a light sleeper, so I notice all things. Like if I try to take a nap, I say I sleep with one eye open because I never fully go to sleep.

I did cosleep with all four of ours without incident.

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:35 PM
I always put mine in the middle. My 4 mo scoots as close to me as possible...he's practically under me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)