Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what would you do?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

so my dh had a colonoscopy. And they found pre cancerous polyps. he doesn't want surgery because it would leave him with a bag . He doesn'tthink he'd have a normal life . Says he wouldnt be able to work. So he wants to live without the surgery until he dies . What would you do ? honor his wishes Or fight like hell to change his mind?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HappySquirrel
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:59 PM
The dr says he would forever have a bag?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:00 PM

yes ....

Quoting HappySquirrel:

The dr says he would forever have a bag?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:01 PM
I would honor his wishes, I had a friend who had to live his whole life with a colostomy bag, he's dead now, but living with it made him so depressed :(
chattycassie
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I would want my dad to live, when my dad was sick I hounded him daily until he went to the DR. He hated it but I am glad he did he has emphezema (spell) He was just going to sit there and be sick no even get check out. I would hound. That is just me. :) Good luck

robyann
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:03 PM

can they give you any kind of a time frame, like will he live longer with the bag? I'd try to get him to do what would give him the longer life, as long as it was torturously bad to have the bag. 

FullMoonFever
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:05 PM

It has to be his decision.His body,his choice,so to speak.Doesn't mean you can't let him know how you feel about it.You'll have to accept whatever choice he makes though.

Sunshine257
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:08 PM
Can you get some more opinions? I was in the hospital and they said they were going to do that to me. I flipped and said I wanted another opinion. It turned out it was just an infection. I am not saying it isn't cancerous but get another opinion about needing to take it out. If it were my son that is what I would do and if they still said he needs the bag. I would fight him tooth and nail about it. How old is he?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Always get a second opinion.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:23 PM

were both 42 and its hereditary , thats why he got checked   his mom had the same thing and has the bag for he rest of her life

Quoting Sunshine257:

Can you get some more opinions? I was in the hospital and they said they were going to do that to me. I flipped and said I wanted another opinion. It turned out it was just an infection. I am not saying it isn't cancerous but get another opinion about needing to take it out. If it were my son that is what I would do and if they still said he needs the bag. I would fight him tooth and nail about it. How old is he?

Sunshine257
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:28 PM
I thought it was your son. Yeah I would fight I want my husband in my life. It is his decision but I couldn't handle my husband choosing death when his death is preventable. I really hope you get some other opinions. If this is for sure what has to happen I hope you can change his mind.

Quoting Anonymous:

were both 42 and its hereditary , thats why he got checked   his mom had the same thing and has the bag for he rest of her life

Quoting Sunshine257:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)