Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty trained before 1 because she could not afford diapers!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
I was talking to a lady in class today, and she told me about how she knew someone who forced their 11 month old to potty train because she couldn't afford diapers.
Is that even possible? I don't know if its true or not...
What do you think?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jtsmommie0104
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I was potty trained at one. My family doesn't really do the diapers after one thing. My DS being the exception lol 

Blueliner
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:04 PM

It's possible, I think back in the day that was the norm...

atyou
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:04 PM
I've heard of lots of kids potty training at one.

Wish my kids did. Haha.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
robyann
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:06 PM

could the 11 month old even walk?? 

I seriously doubt this is true, a child that young can't control their bladder. They don't even get that ability until around age 2. 

My oldest dd was potty trained by 17 months----mostly, she would be ok during the day, but at night and for naps she still wore diapers. 

Her forcing the potty issue so young may cause problems later and could put her back in diapers and even drag it out longer if the child feels scared or unsure about the potty. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:07 PM

A friend of mine had her dd trained before a yr old

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:07 PM
It isn't healthy on the bladder. Makes you wonder if that has anything to do with bedwetting?
Jade_Lufercus
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I don't think it's possible. I have heard of people taking their little ones and sitting them on the potty when they think they're getting ready to BM, as young as 3 months. Which I can understand, gets them used to the potty, and they don't have to sit in their own waste.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know if the child could walk. But i have heard that children can't control their bladder/bowels until a little later on.

Quoting robyann:

could the 11 month old even walk?? 

I seriously doubt this is true, a child that young can't control their bladder. They don't even get that ability until around age 2. 

My oldest dd was potty trained by 17 months----mostly, she would be ok during the day, but at night and for naps she still wore diapers. 

Her forcing the potty issue so young may cause problems later and could put her back in diapers and even drag it out longer if the child feels scared or unsure about the potty. 

natalieumphrey
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:09 PM

hey cant hate on that one!!

Lili-plus-3
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Definitely possible. My Granny trained me by the time I was 1.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)