Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DIY post

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:16 PM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

I can't wait to make this is weekend.

Idea Copy Cat Homemade Occasional Table

Ikea Copy Cat Homemade Occasional Table

I just completed my very own Ikea copy cat homemade occasional table!  It was so easy!!!  I say if you can use a drill or a screw driver you can do it too!

My daughter and I were shopping at Ikea the other day.  We were trying to find some shelving for all of her stuffed animals and knickknacks.   We found the coolest bed set up with a occasional table on wheels to use while you are in bed!  It’s definitely different but in our age of laptops and tv it’s a fun idea!

Ikea Malm occasional table

My daughter wanted it but guess what, it costs $129!  That wasn’t the only problem.  It’s made for an Ikea bed that was extremely low to the ground.  My daughter has a double bed that has a plush mattress.  Extra plush!  It’s high off the ground.  There’s no way that Ikea occasional table would even fit over her bed.  Besides.  It was really light, hollow and very wobbly.  I didn’t like how it was made.  I told her we could easily make that for a fraction of the price and with a higher quality of wood.  She said “Let’s do it Mom!”  Oh boy,  what did I get myself in to.  I told her that we would go to Lowe’s and price the wood and see if we could come up with something.

Here are the supplies we used:

1 – 2x12x12 Top Choice board $12.35  (We asked the employees to cut this to the exact measurements we needed so we didn’t have to do any cutting.  There is a 25¢ charge for each cut.  Well worth it in my opinion!)

4 – 2″ Ridgid Casters (wheels that only move backwards and forwards and don’t swivel) $11.32

Don’t use the Caster wheels that swivel like this:

1 box of wood screws 8 x 1 1/2 $5.30

Sandpaper $3.78

Cost total:  $33.50

Directions for a Double/Full sized bed:

Get your local hardware store to cut 2 pieces at 29 1/2 inches and once piece at 60 inches.  (If you are attempting to make this for a different size bed I would add an extra 3 to 3.5 inches on each side of the bed to allow for the comforter space.)

Bed Measurements

After it’s cut, just screw the “L” brackets into place and sand it.

Ikea Copy Cat homemade occasional table

She insisted on helping me do some sanding!

Ikea copy cat homemade occasional table

Screw the wheels into the bottom and Voila!  It’s done!  Well kinda,  we plan to paint ours black but my daughter just had to see how it worked first!

Ikea copy cat homemade occasional table

Stay tuned for the updated photo after it’s painted.  Not bad for only $33.50!  We saved almost $100~

UPDATE:

Here’s the painted version!  We painted it with Black Chalk board paint!

IKEA Copy Cat Occasional Table

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AlliceNWnderLnd
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Bump

AlliceNWnderLnd
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Bump

Jade_Lufercus
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:17 PM

What do you do with it when you're not using it? It would be cool to do something like this, but we have a foot board.

AlliceNWnderLnd
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:18 PM

I just thought about that and I have no idea, I'm sure we will come up with something. 

Quoting Jade_Lufercus:

What do you do with it when you're not using it? It would be cool to do something like this, but we have a foot board.

Dreamly
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Dude I so want one especially with having a newborn soon I can see do my work on computer. AHH I need dh to see this lol he's very handy with making stuff.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Neat idea

jesistar6910
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Neat.

jesistar6910
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Remove the existing headboard and when not in use slide it back to use as a headboard.

Quoting AlliceNWnderLnd:

I just thought about that and I have no idea, I'm sure we will come up with something. 

Quoting Jade_Lufercus:

AlliceNWnderLnd

My hubby's not the most handy but this looks pretty simple lol 

Quoting Dreamly:

Dude I so want one especially with having a newborn soon I can see do my work on computer. AHH I need dh to see this lol he's very handy with making stuff.

SwtSnowflake2
Turned out nice!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)