Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Changing your kids last names to match yours.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

Two of my kids names are hyphenated and my oldest I do not have custody of (through court) was wondering how I would go about getting his dads last name off of his? His father is not in his life and wants nothing to do with his kids. He lives across the country and hasnt even met his second son. But wont sign off rights. Same with my DD I do have custody of her sole physical custody can I take her fathers hyphenated name off of hers? Her father is not in her life doesnt want to pay child support and lives no where near us or bothers to know her. Has anyone gone through this before? 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:09 PM
If you dont have custody of him, you have no legal right to do anything
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
feliciasmith
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Who has custody of your first so then?
ksueditz
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:10 PM

when my mom changed my brother's last name, his dad had to sign the papers. but that was 20+ years ago. idk if laws have changed or not. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:19 PM

He lives with me and has done so all his life. I'm saying I do not have a custody agreement with his father. His father lefted when he was 1 and never looked back. I couldnt actually get custody because I live in NY and I needed a paternity paper work and I do not have that all of that burned in a fire that I had years ago. I have tried getting one but NY and FL connection is annoying same with why I dont bother with child support. 

Quoting feliciasmith:

feliciasmith
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Oh well that was a confusing read haha so both live with you fulltime?

I wouldnt bother with it until they are 18 and can change it themselves, just go by your last name in the mean time.

Quoting Anonymous:

He lives with me and has done so all his life. I'm saying I do not have a custody agreement with his father. His father lefted when he was 1 and never looked back. I couldnt actually get custody because I live in NY and I needed a paternity paper work and I do not have that all of that burned in a fire that I had years ago. I have tried getting one but NY and FL connection is annoying same with why I dont bother with child support. 

Quoting feliciasmith:

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Quoting punkasscanuck:

i think you need a few more baby daddies. snort.

*dies*

Tracylynn100
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:27 PM

You might want to check but I think he can just drop it.  My husband used his step-dads name in high school and my brother used our step-dads name, legally changed it when he turned 18

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Yes all 3 of my LO's live with me. Sorry for sounding confusing hard to expalin sometimes. Thats just it, my last name is the last last name but the school will try to use both or have them use the first part (dads) of the last name. 

Quoting feliciasmith:

Oh well that was a confusing read haha so both live with you fulltime?

I wouldnt bother with it until they are 18 and can change it themselves, just go by your last name in the mean time.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting feliciasmith:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:30 PM

His dad when we were together had a hyphenated last name and he used one which ever he cose and his siter seemed to use their other one which she chose to. I have told the schools just the last last name (my last name) is the one they can use. But the school wont grrr. 

Quoting Tracylynn100:

You might want to check but I think he can just drop it.  My husband used his step-dads name in high school and my brother used our step-dads name, legally changed it when he turned 18

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)