Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I Can't Take It Anymore...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies

My son is 3.5. He isn't potty trained (no matter how much I try...he refuses to go on the potty). He has a speech delay. We just moved (DH is military), so I had to explain all of this stuff to my son's new doctor. They're supposed to send someone to my house to have him evaluated and also see if he needs to be evaluated further by a child psychologist for ADD/ADHD.

Any mom of a 3 year old can tell you that it's not always easy, so I'm not looking for pity or anything like that. I just need to vent...and I want to post anonymously so that I don't get any backlash on my actual SN.

Anyway, I don't know how much longer I can do this for. DH tries to help with what he can, but his job is demanding...and I can't fault him for that.

Some days I feel like I give out more spankings and discipline than not. I'm a patient person, but I feel it wearing thin.

DS doesn't act like an ass around DH...so sometimes I think that they both would be better off without me around. I'm not suicidal or anything like that...it's just a quick thought that pops in my head..."I should just leave and let them be happy."

I, then, hate myself for thinking like this. I feel like a failure as a mother.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:36 PM
If you are spanking him more then not, then I would ask yourself are you spanking becuase it is a form of discipline, or out of frustration and anger
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I never spank out of anger or frustration. I calm myself down before I spank him...I also try to do time out and other forms of discipline before resorting to spanking.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

If you are spanking him more then not, then I would ask yourself are you spanking becuase it is a form of discipline, or out of frustration and anger

SecularMomma
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:47 PM

It sounds like your son may have a medical issue. So it's good he's getting evaluated.  But if it is a medical issue you should know that no amount of spanking/discipline will help. Maybe take a day if you can because you are obviously feeling pretty overwhelmed. :) I think we've all had days where we feel like a failure... being a mom sucks sometimes. And of course it especially sucks when things are even harder than they are supposed to be. Hopefully, you'll have some answers soon.

delilahsmom1177
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:09 PM

My friend has had an issue potty raining her child and she is now 6. She does have some emotional issues. NOt my friends fault and I am not saying that because she is my friend. My friend tries soooo hard. Single mommy of 2 kids one with emotional issues and another whom she almost lost at birth and has epilepsy and partially deaf. You can do it Momma!!!

I'm a tattooed,pagan,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is but still teaching her important life lessons,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:33 PM

My DH and I have been seeing a counselor because we had some issues in our marriage and also something happened with my husband a few months ago and it was suggested we go to counseling together to deal with it. Anyway, the counselor suggested that I take some time to myself when I start to feel overwhelmed. My DH has been great about giving me that, but he's gone a lot because of his job and I can't always take the time I need. I just feel like I'm getting close to my breaking point.

The discipline does do its job, but sometimes it takes more than once or twice to get the point across. He's a typical 3 year old in that aspect.

Quoting SecularMomma:

It sounds like your son may have a medical issue. So it's good he's getting evaluated.  But if it is a medical issue you should know that no amount of spanking/discipline will help. Maybe take a day if you can because you are obviously feeling pretty overwhelmed. :) I think we've all had days where we feel like a failure... being a mom sucks sometimes. And of course it especially sucks when things are even harder than they are supposed to be. Hopefully, you'll have some answers soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)