Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shingles in a Baby?!?!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies

a friend who has a 14 month old just posted on facebook that her doctor just diagnosed her son with shingles, says he got them from the chickenpox vaccine that he got at his one year check-up. and that we should all keep away from her kid. I have NEVER HEARD of this happening!! has anyone else? how does a baby get shingles? what I found online doesn't say much. I'm also wondering if anyone knows how contagious it would be for my kids especially, they both have been fully vaxed but I know thats not a garantee against anything. does anyone have any insight?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:42 PM

bump

MamaJess9
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:44 PM

I am fairly certain it's impossible to get shingles unless you've had chickenpox already. (Or are vaccinated for chicken pox, which means the vax itself can't actually give you shingles.)

Is it possible her kid just has the actual chicken pox?

gypsy_rose
by Kandy on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:45 PM
Not all that uncommon. I know a few kids who got shingles as baby. That poor thing is going through something VERY painful right now!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Luna091306
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Ummm....no. From what I understand you can only get shingles IF you have had the chickenpox. I had them when I was 18 weeks pregnant with my ds. :/

Oh, and if your kids have been vaccinated they are fine. Shingles are only contagious to those who have not been vaccinated or not had the chicken pox.

stickyfingers
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:48 PM
OMG that poor baby is in so much pain! My son had it two weeks ago. He is 7. My daughter is not vaxed and she is getting over chicken pox now. If the baby coughs he can spread it or it can be transmitted. If your kids are vaxed they might get a slight case of the pox.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:48 PM

thats what the doctor said to her, that the vax gave him shingles

Quoting MamaJess9:

I am fairly certain it's impossible to get shingles unless you've had chickenpox already. (Or are vaccinated for chicken pox, which means the vax itself can't actually give you shingles.)

jadedcynic
by Nerdalicious on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I got shingles as a baby without being vaccinated. I have also had chicken pox 4 times in my life!

gypsy_rose
by Kandy on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:49 PM
The baby had the shot ywo months ago. I belive the dr was saying that had the bady not had the shot it would not have had this at that time. I know a few kids who got shingles within 6 months of the shot. Its sad.

Quoting MamaJess9:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Bullshit

BUFFIE.the.BODY
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:49 PM
I don't let ds get unnecessary shots

1 example: the flu shot.

I refuse to let my son have live viruses flouting around in his body making him sick. Sure they're in the air but uhm no. As a RN I know a lot and REFUSE
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)