Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homemade chalk?.. *pic* UPDATE W/NEW PIC!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 44 Replies
3 moms liked this

Fwd:

Here is my first time trying to make homemade chalk (plaster of Paris and food dye). I used jello molds and toilet paper rolls (cut and taped so they weren't so big).
Anyone else make homemade chalk? How did it turn out? These were not spotted/multi colored until they dried all the way. We haven't been able to try ours yet because of the winter storm, but once the weather is nice again we are going straight outside to give these a try! :)
UPDATE! New pic in replies on page 3!
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Bump!
KatieFlower
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Great idea! Thank you! They came out great!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:53 PM
IKR! I'm so happy I gave it a try. Lol.

Quoting KatieFlower:

Great idea! Thank you! They came out great!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:56 PM
I've never made it because chalk isn't that expensive so I have no reason to make it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:27 PM
2 moms liked this
Making it is fun for the kids and you can make your own shapes instead of just standard chalk sticks. It has nothing to do with it being cheap or expensive.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've never made it because chalk isn't that expensive so I have no reason to make it.
Jessica518
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Yeah I agree its a fun project and the kids can pick what shapes they want. Im going to try it. How do I make it?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this
1c plaster of paris, 3/4c water, food dye. Mix and fill your molds or whatever. Let dry for a day, then have fun!

Quoting Jessica518:

Yeah I agree its a fun project and the kids can pick what shapes they want. Im going to try it. How do I make it?
Sarafinn2012
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Out of curiousity...I could research but I'm lazy..lol..how expensive is plaster of paris? Could you make it out of a flour or corn starch based ingredient??

Quoting Anonymous:

1c plaster of paris, 3/4c water, food dye. Mix and fill your molds or whatever. Let dry for a day, then have fun!

Quoting Jessica518:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:40 PM
It was $4 for a big box at Walmart. If you use corn starch it is chalk paint, not solid chalk pieces.

Quoting Sarafinn2012:

Out of curiousity...I could research but I'm lazy..lol..how expensive is plaster of paris? Could you make it out of a flour or corn starch based ingredient??

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Jessica518:

JonesMama
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Cool!

I want to try it! We've made the chalk paint several times. (water and cornstarch, and food coloring)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)