Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this normal at their age? How can I stop them from doing this?!

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:21 PM
  • 22 Replies

I have twins that will be 3 next month and I still have to hold their hand when we are outside or they will take off running from me and they will NOT stop.

Example.... we went to an outdoor birthday party a few months ago. I took them and my 2 older kids and I put the twins in the double stroller because I know how they are and I didn't feel like dealing with the stress and embarrassment. Well after my friend's dad hounding me to let them out of the stroller, I did. Guess what happened...? They took off running in opposite directions and I slipped and fell trying to catch them. If I yell for them to stop they just laugh and keep going. It's ridiculous. And dangerous. People think I'm mean or over protective for holding onto them or keeping them in the stroller in certain situations but I can't help it. There are 2 of them and only one of me. If they take off and won't stop, what am I supposed to do? They could get hit by a car or ANYTHING.

I also have a 5 year old and 7 year old and they were MUCH younger than this when they grew out of the "running from mom stage." I'm pretty sure they weren't even 2 yet when they stopped doing that. So why are the twins still doing it?! I hate it because we can't just go outside and play or go to the park... it always has to be a big ordeal and I usually end up keeping them in a stroller because they won't listen and keep taking off. I've tried using harnesses for them but it's hard since there are 2 of them.... they end up criss-crossing and getting tangled up. lol.

Anyway... I am 8 months pregnant... and summer is coming up. So I'm gonna have a newborn that I'll be busy with AND I'm gonna have 4 kids who wanna go outside and play. I just don't know how I'm gonna do it with the twins pulling their crap AND having a baby that needs constant attention.

Any advice on how to break them of this? Anyone else have this problem? It is really getting ridiculous.

pregnant

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2five87
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:23 PM

BUMP!

mama2ameira
by captain underpants on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:24 PM
I only read the first paragraph but yes it's normal. Dd ran from me in a super Walmart. I freaked out and almost started crying. I scolded her and put her ass in the cart. First and Last time she did that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mom2five87
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:25 PM

How old was she?

Quoting mama2ameira:

I only read the first paragraph but yes it's normal. Dd ran from me in a super Walmart. I freaked out and almost started crying. I scolded her and put her ass in the cart. First and Last time she did that.

pregnant

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Mom2five87
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:26 PM

BUMP!

mama2ameira
by captain underpants on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:27 PM
This happened a few weeks ago, she will be 3 in July.

Quoting Mom2five87:

How old was she?

Quoting mama2ameira:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mom2gmp2
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:29 PM

My 2 1/2 year old always wants to run from me as well. I think it may be because he has a 12 year old brother who doesn't have to hold my hand or walk right beside me so why should HE have to.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:30 PM
So far two of my three have tried running off like that (I expect the youngest to try it sometime soon). Once. I spanked their butts hard when it happened. Never happened again. If my kids don't listen to me we leave wherever we are immediately. No questions, no apologies, no I promise to be good.
kibbskins
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Sorry mine's only 20 months. I just brought out the harness.

morriganna
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this

It depends on the kid - sounds like they are aware that they outnumber you and gang up! ;)  That's how it seemed sometimes when mine were little lol.  Who am I kidding, they do that now! 

Kiddie leashes - use them, love them, the kiddos will outgrow it one day.  Just reread and you're pregnant too?  My older three are very close, when I had a newborn, two year old, and three year old my leashes and baby carrier were lifesavers (they also boycotted their stroller around that time.)

mandee1503
by Amanda on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:33 PM

My dd outgrew it finally around 4. She took off from dh in Disneyland. Thankfully she stopped long enough there was a break in the crowd and he was able to grab her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)