Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am keeping my step-daughter

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 56 Replies
9 moms liked this

My dh's ex has turned into a drunk and I can't stand it anymore. 

DH is sick right now and today is our day to spend with SD. So I decided I would take her out for the day and do some shopping and have something to eat. When I went to pick her up it was 2pm and I could already smell booze on her mother. The only thing I said was that I would probably bring her back a little early because daddy was sick. 

Well, when I brought her home we walked in the door and her mother was passed out on the couch. stinking of booze and the house smelt like cigarettes. I was about to try to wake her up when a man came into the living room. I pulled my SD closer to me and asked him who he was. He said his name and that he was her boyfriend. I said, well her daughter is home so it is time for her to wake up and be a mom. He told me to leave her sleep and he will take care of my SD. I asked my SD if she knew who he was, she is only 4 but she told me no. 

There was no way in hell I was leaving my SD with some strange man while her mother was passed out drunk on the living room couch. So I wrote a note and taped it to the beer bottle that was on the coffee table and I left with her. 

That was almost an hour ago and she has not called here or anything yet and quite frankly, I don't give a damn! I love that little girl more than life itself and clearly her mother loves booze and strange men more. I hope she does not call for her! 

My DH says that I did the right thing and we are going to take her back to court and get full custody of her. That makes me super happy because I would love nothing more than to raise her in our home where I know she will be well taken care of and safe

update: The police went to her house, she apparently had a warrant out for her arrest for a fail to appear. When they arrested her they found drugs in her pocket so she is also being charged with possession. This is all crazy and all new to me. I have never had to deal with police or anything like this before, I never dreamed in a million years that she would have been arrested, and I feel horrible for that. DH is going to call his lawyer in the morning. But in the meantime, I have a little girl to get in the bubble bath and read a bedtime story too :) . 

I feel sorry for her Mother, but I am excited at the possibility of having my SD full time 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ame85
by Chemistry cat on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Sounds like you did the right thing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:36 PM
3 moms liked this

thats wonderful but in the mean time if theres a court order u must return her or call the police to see if u can get emergency custody

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Good luck! Some people shouldn't be mothers.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Goodness.  Call cps on the mom and have your dh file for custody. That little girl is only 4? Terrible she has to live like that at moms house.

junebaby11
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Definitely get custody I wouldn't let her go back at all
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cfcf
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Good! Hope you get custody.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I don't think we need CPS.. I don't want to drag my SD through that. And I don't want to drag her mother through the mud. 

Yes she is only 4 :( and she is super sweet and loving and it breaks my heart that she lives like that. But at least tonight she will be safe and happy. 

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Goodness.  Call cps on the mom and have your dh file for custody. That little girl is only 4? Terrible she has to live like that at moms house.

SnapIt
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Definitely you did the right thing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyinvt
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this

You are a great step-mom. I only wish there were more of you out there. I was the same way with my first husbands son. I took him in like he was my own as well.

Mrs.Torres2566
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I would have DH file for custody. That is horrible.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)