Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you legally have to provide your child with as a parent?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 147 Replies

DD is 14. She is physically and mentally healthy but she still wets her bed at night about 2 or 3 times a week. She has been seen by a doctor. She is not being abused. Over the last 10 years we've tried the pull ups that feel cold when wet, alarms, waking her once or twice a night to go to the bathroom, restricting fluid intake before bed, consequence of having to clean up the mess herself, etc.

When we bought her mattress set a few years ago we also bought a very expensive vinyl cover with padding on top that zips and covers the entire mattress to protect it because we knew about the bed wetting problem. She ripped it up. Since then I've bought cheaper ones from walmart that are like fitted sheets and she refuses to put them on her bed. When we put them on she just takes them off. She says she can't stand the way they sound and feel under her sheets. Okay, so we bought her a mattress pad cover to go over the plastic sheet. Nope. Still won't use it. We started implementing consequences if she took the plastic cover off. Still won't use it.

Her mattress is disgusting...like biohazard gross. It needs to be thrown out. We can afford to get her a new set but we know that the same issue will continue to happen. DH and I disagree on what to do. He wants to throw her current set away and give her a yoga mat and sleeping bag for 6 months. If she doesn't pee in her sleep for 6 months he will agree to buy her a new bed. I think this is right on the line of crazy parenting and maybe even neglect. She's a growing kid and needs rest...the floor probably won't make that easy.

What do you think?

ETA: After reading the responses here and talking with DH some more we are going to go with his plan. DH told DD we were going to throw her bed out this weekend and she seemed pretty surprised...like her jaw actually dropped. The only thing she said was, "well what about if I have friends over..what will I tell them when they ask why I don't have a bed?" DH told her to tell them the truth or stop peeing in her sleep for 6 months and we would try a bed again.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmorales7690
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Take that child to the doctor!!! She could have kidney problems or a severe uti. Or worse! Wetting the bed at that age is not normal!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:23 PM
2 moms liked this

Im with DH

Blueliner
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Did you read the post?

Quoting kmorales7690:

Take that child to the doctor!!! She could have kidney problems or a severe uti. Or worse! Wetting the bed at that age is not normal!

jillbailey26
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:25 PM
13 moms liked this

I don't get why she's even allowed to dictate what goes on at all.  Who cares if she doesn't like the protective cover.  When she stops wetting the bed, it can come off.  Until then, tough crap.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Josie_P
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I agree with your dh. Maybe even a sleeping bag?

Kage336
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:26 PM
3 moms liked this
If it's not a legitimate health problem, then I agree with your DH.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:26 PM
2 moms liked this
Sorry but she sounds alittle lazy at that age. Tearing up her covers and what not, I agree with your DH. Sounds like she needs a lesson in respecting what your trying to do for her.
mamabear55
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Air

kmorales7690
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, she needs a solution. Obviously something is wrong if a 14 year old keeps wetting the bed.

Quoting Blueliner:

Did you read the post?

Quoting kmorales7690:

RissyLee
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:28 PM
3 moms liked this
I would give her an option of a new bed with a cover or sleeping on a yoga mat.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)