Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone opting out/refusing? Edit!!! EDIT #2

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:28 PM
  • 491 Replies
5 moms liked this

Is anyone here opting out/refusing the state tests this year? 

I live on Long Island and its a huge thing here. Thousands of parents are choosing to refuse the state test next week. 

Edit- 

I attended a meeting last night for refusing the test. It was very informative and has made me even more secure in my decision to have my child refuse the test. 

You moms in other states may not understand why us NYers have such an issue with the test so I will try to summarize a bit of what was discussed in last nights meeting. 

What NYis doing to our children is despicable!!!!! As we all know NY is running out of funding for schools. When a school district passes these tests they get state funding. when the district makes a certain score they get an additiona "bonus". 2-3 years ago many districts scored high enough for a bonus. Almost all schools on the island scored passing grades qualifying them for state funding. The state couldn't afford this so they made the test harder in hopes that more schools would fail. Teachers stepped up their game so that didn't work as planned. Our kids still passed. After using this attemp for 2years they have now (this year) made the test so hard (2-3 grade levels higher) to assure that most children will fail.  Teachers weren't told of this huge jump in material until it was too late to cram it all in. They are using our children as pawns in their game. Last nights meeting was in the next county over and had an incredible turn out!!!!

Tonight I will be attending my counties meeting. There will be different educators, administrators, and lawyers than there was at last nights meeting. 

Do you all NOW understand why this is such a big deal here? Would you allow your child to take the test knowing this? 

EDIT #2 - more information i found out in past 2 meetings I attended.  It's a lot to absorb so ill summarize and then add a link for you to read further. 

Bill gates is now in charge of your child's education. Yup,that's right. He has more say in how and what your children know and learn than your child's teachers, state, and school admins. BTW Bill Gates has never studied childhood education or development. 

By 2015 they will have gathered all students personal information and data consisting of but not limited to names, adresses, parents income, social security numbers, medical records and information, psychometric and biometric informoration...and more. This information will be loaded into a data base, put on a cloud and share between the federal government and these large corporations that are taking over education. This violates FERPA!!!

http://whatiscommoncore.wordpress.com/tag/bill-gates/

http://educationnewyork.com/files/110458572-How-Much-Data-is-Enough-Data-What-happens-to-privacy-when-bureaucracies-exceed-their-scope.pdf

Ill add more later when I get some time 

Act like a lady, think like a man,so you don't get played like a bitch 

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Miller0305
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this
No, ours were in November. My son scored proficient or advanced in every subject even with the higher cut scores this year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jojo_star
by Jojo on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:30 PM

No, we never have, I don't see the point in refusing. 

CuriousArentYa
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Why are you opting out?

fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:31 PM

No never

anotherhalf
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I've thought about it, but then I think it might be good practice for when he takes the SATs.  Are you considering opting out?

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:33 PM
3 moms liked this

I wish you could opt out in my state.  My son is reading well above grade level but I was just made aware they might retain him this year because he's not great at taking tests.  Horse shit IMO.  I don't think there is a way to opt out in Florida.

tntmomof2
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:01 PM
4 moms liked this
Ability has nothing to do with it. My son is in 6th and reads at a 9th grade level. Does math at an 8th grade level. I'm still having him refuse.

Quoting Miller0305:

No, ours were in November. My son scored proficient or advanced in every subject even with the higher cut scores this year.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tntmomof2
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:03 PM
52 moms liked this
I'm against everything the test stands for and am tired of teachers being forced to teach for a test all year. Our kids are missing out on a proper education because of these tests.

Quoting CuriousArentYa:

Why are you opting out?

twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this
PA is trying to get out of them. I'm not refusing though...yet.
They are terrible and screw up their education. I wish people in our area were..then my kids wouldn't be pissed if I caused a fight over them.
tntmomof2
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:04 PM
We're definitely refusing. Not considering.

Quoting anotherhalf:

I've thought about it, but then I think it might be good practice for when he takes the SATs.  Are you considering opting out?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured