Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oppositional Defiant Disorder? You've GOT to be kidding....

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:37 PM
  • 163 Replies
4 moms liked this
I recently heard about this because an associate's child has been labeled as having this.

In my opinion, he's an ass because his mother has coddled and pampered him.....let him do whatever he wants (he's run the show). Now she all of a sudden wants him to listen to her and behave, and he's "angry".

Well of course he's going to be angry....she's trying to wrestle control and he doesn't like it. But having to admit that he's just an uncontrolled child would be tantamount to admitting that she's not been a very good parent. And god forbid that happen, so let's get him diagnosed with a "condition" that makes it NO ONE's fault. He can't "help it", and now everyone is a victim.

Geez Louise.....

Anyone heard of this, or know of anyone that says their child has it? If so, what is your take on it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:39 PM
5 moms liked this
I've heard of it and believe it is a real condition but over diagnosed
Redwoods_Mama
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes, I have heard of it and then some.  Not my kid, but other people's.

I believe it is very real and I don't judge.  I'd rather believe someone who is really just a shit parent than risk disbelieving someone who has been handed a really rough deal.

I alos believe behavioral disorders can be overdiagnosed, etc.  But it's not my life so whatever.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:40 PM
Generally it is in conjunction with another diagnosis
december911
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I have heard of it. A fellow sailor's dd was diagnosed with it. Imo, she acted out because she was shipped around every 2 years between mom and dad, (they were divorced) so depending on their sea/shore rotation, dictated where she lived and with whom. there was little consistensy and the parents always felt guilty. I don't buy into it though. thought it was a cop out

deadlights86
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:42 PM
My son has it with a few other issues. My friends son has it really bad. Like beyond bad kid cause he is spoiled bad.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:43 PM
I'm 26 and was labeled with it at 14. My parents did not coddle or spoil me. I had chores and no allowance.
Lizard_Lina
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:43 PM
This. My nephew is diagnosed with it and honestly the only one he has a defiance issue with is his mother. Her fiance, me, grandma and grandpa.... None of us have an issue with him. She can't get him to do anything without a thought out plan and a tranquelizer.

I should add that he has other issues but I think the odd is a crock of shit. She refuses to establish control, and he's smart enough to see that and take advantage of it.

Quoting Anonymous:I've heard of it and believe it is a real condition but over diagnosed
GhettoKoolAide
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:44 PM
4 moms liked this
I nannied a child with it. That shit is hardcore and nothing to play about. You can easily tell a bratty child from one with true ODD.
BEXi
by BEXi on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:44 PM

My exfiance had it as a child. He definitely has some type of personality disorder as an adult.

ODD is VERY real and can be really scary at times. Dont discredit those parents who have children with this disorder. It's NOT easy to live with.

fairyjester
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:45 PM
5 moms liked this

yes, i have known a few children with it. 

oh and   you may want to adjust yourself   your ignorance is showing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)