Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone else in the business world ever feel like you are just constantly trying to sell yourself?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:45 PM
  • 2 Replies

I have found this to be such a burden for me

Im so "Hippy" that I often come off too casual 

I have to really try to dress correctly, say the right things, no use the slang that people who I grew up around, even the profressionals I am used to use. 

Where I am from it is normal for us to use the word "hella" and I would never get penalized for it

or for me to wear sandals and a summery blouse in a professional setting

Take off shoes while around the office, but not just that

Everyone knows everyone through someone  where I am from

Going into these big cities I have to dress right, watch how I speak, be a little uptight, actively present myself in a way that I am not used to.

Trying to get a contract and being hella laid back has not worked for me, I have to present myself as a hard-ass and its just not me.

I love my field, Statistics is everything, and everyone who I work with who is a statistician as well is very laid back, its just going and closing a deal has been so stressful to me because I just want to be myself, but instead I have to develop this persona

I hope it comes naturally at some point.  A lot of us in the field also find it hard because we are nothing but a bunch of statisticians, we never had to train for how to behave in business, or practice it in school.  Uggh

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Cutenessmom
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I always thought the funnything is you ever noticed the mogels  our all older fatter and less attractive...

TaughtTot
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:51 PM

maybe they have the right personality, who knows

Quoting Cutenessmom:

I always thought the funnything is you ever noticed the mogels  our all older fatter and less attractive...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)