Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At my wits end...

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:00 PM
  • 13 Replies

with this dog! I adopted a dog from a friend in January. She was living with her grandma, but grandma had to go into a nursing home and my friend had to move into an apartment. She couldn't take the dog with her. He is a loving, friendly, playful dog. BUT he is having a problem potty training. He never peed or pooped in her house, and didn't for the first month here either. Then it was sneaking around, pooping in a room really quick while I didn't notice. I try to keep him right by me, but sometimes he sneaks off. I let him out every hour, hour and a half or so, but he's getting worse and worse. Yesterday I let him out, he came back in and stood right in front of me and peed on the living room floor. As soon as he started peeing I said "BAD DOG!" and proceeded to carry him outside. He left a trail of pee behind him as I carried him outside! I have never had a dog, and am not entirely sure where to go from here. I got a training book, but it isn't helping. There is someone home with him all day long, every day and he gets tons of attention. Just in case, he is a poodle, bishon mix (if that makes a difference?) I just don't know what to do!? Any suggestions?

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katarina666
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Maybe he has health issues.Some dog's refuse to go if they aren't walked.When you take him out don't let him back in till he go's .Get baby gates to keep him out of any room your not in.Also when he does do his potty out side tell him'Good boy' and give him a treat.He is a mix poodles are usually easy to train ,Bishons are harder.

Sarafinn2012
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:13 PM

I was thinking maybe he's having issues with being relocated. We love him dearly, but it's hard for him I think because my friend comes over and her daughter does too, and then they leave again. We brought him to the vet when we first got him and all checked out well. We got him up to date on shots and on flea and tick control pills. In the beginning he had no problem, and he gets walks a few times a week. He does go when we let him out, but he goes again when he comes inside. I like the idea of giving him a treat and telling him good boy when he does good. I suppose he's like a kid in that way. The positive reinforcement works better than the negative. I will try that! Any more suggestions?

Quoting katarina666:

Maybe he has health issues.Some dog's refuse to go if they aren't walked.When you take him out don't let him back in till he go's .Get baby gates to keep him out of any room your not in.Also when he does do his potty out side tell him'Good boy' and give him a treat.He is a mix poodles are usually easy to train ,Bishons are harder.

EvaTheDiva29
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:14 PM

what kind of dog is it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:16 PM

My sister has the exact breed, adopted from a shelter.  He did well at first, then as he got  comfortable in her house, he started pissing everywhere.  Maybe call Cesar Milan? 

Small dogs are a bitch to train, if they can be really trained at all. 

Sarafinn2012
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:19 PM

He's a poodle, bishon mix. 

Quoting EvaTheDiva29:

what kind of dog is it?

Sarafinn2012
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:21 PM

He never had a problem at my friends house. Her grandma had hiim super trained. Maybe he's got anxiety from being around younge rkids  than he's used to.

Quoting Anonymous:

My sister has the exact breed, adopted from a shelter.  He did well at first, then as he got  comfortable in her house, he started pissing everywhere.  Maybe call Cesar Milan? 

Small dogs are a bitch to train, if they can be really trained at all. 

AMedicsPixie
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Sounds like he has attachment issues.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sarafinn2012
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:25 PM

What can I do to help him? He is only 3. He is young and I feel he is trainable. I just don't know?! I want to keep him but hubby is threatening towards wanting to get rid of him. :(

Quoting AMedicsPixie:

EvaTheDiva29
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:26 PM

aww! im thinking hes having issues with the changes. sometimes they can come out of nowhere. has anything changed since the month he wasn't going in the house? any, even little stuff?

Quoting Sarafinn2012:

He's a poodle, bishon mix. 

Quoting EvaTheDiva29:

what kind of dog is it?

EvaTheDiva29
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:27 PM

when i have issues with rescues, i go to youtube and find training videos. try googling, or youtubing attachment issues, potty training a 3 yr old dog, ect. more times than not, i find something that works.

Quoting Sarafinn2012:

What can I do to help him? He is only 3. He is young and I feel he is trainable. I just don't know?! I want to keep him but hubby is threatening towards wanting to get rid of him. :(

Quoting AMedicsPixie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)