Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to eat healthier?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies
I grew up eating processed foods, and lots of junk. Since DD has started solids, I've been more conscious of what is in food. I make most of her food, all organic. But I want to teach her good eating habits as she grows, and I can't do that if I'm eating a bunch of crap.

Problem is, I have no idea where to start. The only way I know how to shop and cook is the way my mom did when I was younger. So can someone give me some basic pointers about healthy cooking/shopping?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:14 PM
You can't eat crap, if you don't buy crap.
katarina666
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Buy fresh fruit and veggies.No pre cooked boxed crap.Cook from scratch. Get some cook books or look up recipes on line.

Workoutmom2025
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:17 PM
2 moms liked this
Shop the edges of the store. Everything in the middle is processed stuff. Make all your grains whole. Cut out most caloric beverages. Milk and occasional 100% fruit juice is fine, but no kool-aid, soda, etc. When you do buy anything with an ingredient list, read it. Ingredients are listed by how much of it they contain, so the first ingredient is what the food is mostly comprised of, and so on. So if one of the first 3 is sugar, it's got a lot of it. Try to stay away from as much processed sugar as you can. Learn how to make some of your favorites from scratch...muffins, breads, etc. we make all our bread from home and it's been awesome.
Sarafinn2012
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:18 PM

First off, cut out white foods. That is, pasta, white bread, potatoes, rice, etc (these are loaded with starch, which turns into sugar, which creates fat). If you use noodles, use whole wheat. If you eat rice, use brown or wild. If you eat bread, use whole wheat. Limit potatoes. Eat more greens (fresh not canned). Steam, don't boil. Chicken, turkey, fish for meats. Limit red meats, especially hamburger. Moderation is the key.

MariannLws
by Mariann on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:25 PM

YouTube can be your best friend for recipes and advice on cooking and eating healthy. Best of luck. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Potatoes are good for you. The problem with potatoes is that people often put junk on them or cook them in oil. The potato itself is healthy, especially if you keep the skins on.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/food-nutrition/natural-foods/natural-weight-loss-food-potatoes-ga.htm

Quoting Sarafinn2012:

First off, cut out white foods. That is, pasta, white bread, potatoes, rice, etc (these are loaded with starch, which turns into sugar, which creates fat). If you use noodles, use whole wheat. If you eat rice, use brown or wild. If you eat bread, use whole wheat. Limit potatoes. Eat more greens (fresh not canned). Steam, don't boil. Chicken, turkey, fish for meats. Limit red meats, especially hamburger. Moderation is the key.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:31 PM

I can give you an easy, healthy smoothie recipe.  Hopefully you have a good blender that can grind it all.

Spinach Smoothie

2 cups almond milk

3 cups spinach

1 banana

1 TBS honey

1 cup frozen strawberries

Blend it all together.  It's a very nice breakfast, tastes like a strawberry banana shake, and gives you a large fruit/veggie serving for the day.  I feel so much better since I added a daily smoothie to my diet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Awesome, gives me a great place to start! Thanks!
lifeisajoy
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:32 PM

buy fresh or frozen veggies, fresh fruit, and fresh meat (not processed)

There is basics

Sarafinn2012
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Yes. I don't disagree that BAKED potatoes with the skins on are healthy, in moderation. But they are loaded with starch and over consumption of taters isn't good for you. Starch turns into sugar, which is processed slowly in your body and stored for later "consumption" or fuel.

Quoting Anonymous:

Potatoes are good for you. The problem with potatoes is that people often put junk on them or cook them in oil. The potato itself is healthy, especially if you keep the skins on.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/food-nutrition/natural-foods/natural-weight-loss-food-potatoes-ga.htm

Quoting Sarafinn2012:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)