Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

diva cup

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
How many have one?? do you like it? not like it? works well? doesn't work well? I have been considering giving it a go...but not for sure yet if its something I wanna try. I am scared I will get it and hate it.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Replies (111-120):
soon2bmomof3619
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Also I meant to tell you ebay, that's the place to go lol, I got mine there, and there are so many options and different prices for the same brand you can find a great deal. That's how I got my mooncup for $23 as opposed to the $35 that mooncup charges on their website. Also if you find a brand you want to try, but are unsure of what size to get just google their website and that info will be there, and you can compare the price they charge to the price you found. Just search Menstrual cup on ebay, there are several pages.

Quoting lurveable:

Seriously don't stop trying to reach out because what little I knew was from my mom and she's not the brightest crayon in the box and is the kind of person that tells some one about something in all the wrong ways and makes them not like the sound of it at all lol. She had me completely like "uhh...no thanks I don't see how that would help my life at all" But I had no idea. I also read a horror story about lady who used one for the first time in flight in an airplane bathroom and had such a terrible experiance she never wanted to use one again. haha [it got stuck apprently she couldn't fold it right or get it in right] That helped turn me away also.

I instantly jumped to thinking about my daughter to when reading this all! I was like "I don't ever want a pad or tampon to touch my little girl!" So I will be trying to persuade her to use those options to and teaching her every thing I learned today.

Quoting soon2bmomof3619:

No problem at all, I absolutely love when my research can help someone else too. :)) I actually did the math and  after paying $23 for my mooncup, that will last 10 years, I will save $1297 because I wont be spending $10 a month on pads anymore. I am 25, my mom at 49 still isn't premenopausal, I am pretty sure my gram was in her early 60s before she hit menopause, I *should* only have to buy 3, my overall saving will be close to $4000. Crazy when you think about it in the long term like that. If I had started using these 14 years ago when I first got AF my overall savings would be closer to $6000.

I plan to give my DD the option of a cup or cloth pads, but I and my DF agree we will not allow her to use disposables. The look on his face when he read that article, priceless lol. She's not even 3 yet, so we've got a long time to go before we've got to worry about that, but I try to

Quoting lurveable:

Oh my gosh after reading the site you shared you may have just sold me entirely on the idea. lol I am seriously probably going to get me a ten year one and some of the disposable ones they talk about that you can have sex with them in, haha. I at least want to try it out! I don't like thinking about all that bad stuff getting into me possibly I am always trying to be healthier I never really thought about my pads because to me they are just outside the body. Plus, I love how with the ten year one you don't have to worry about buying anything for such a long time or unnecessary waste. It's definitely worth a try to me. I am so glad you shared with me you may have just helped me improve my life a little bit. Thank you so much!

Quoting soon2bmomof3619:

No problem, I heavily researched them before I decided to make the jump. I started with a reusable instead softcup (they are only reusable for one entire cycle) just to see if I would like a cup at all, and I didn't really care for that, but I liked it better than pads or tampons, and I'd heard from a lot of people that regualr cups are better than softcups, so I made the jump after researching like a mad woman lol. I also dried out badly with tampons, which is why I switched to pads in the first place, but since cups are made of med grade silicon they don't absorb, so you don't get dry from them. And as far as inserting, if you're dry you can use a little water to make things easier. I would suggest, if you're only looking into it for swimming, maybe a disposable softcup, they are pretty cheap and you can swim with them in, you can even have sex with the softcup in, you can't with a regular cup though, I keep a few softcups around for this reason lol. I read this article from a blog I love in the first place, and I was so shocked by some of the things in it. It also has links to comparison charts for the different kinds of cups, and more. I don't know if it has links for softcups, but you can order those direct through their site and many other places sell them online, or even in stores, I know Walmart has them online, and I'm pretty sure Wwalgreen CVS etc also have them. Any other questions you have you can shoot me a message and I'll be more than happy to answer.

Quoting lurveable:

I take no offense, thank you, I really didn't know much about it to be honest I just assumed it would happen that way [be really messy every time] I pictured like half my hand soaked in blood from trying to get it in there lol. And I read another one of your comments here I think it was you anyways, I didn't know you could leave it in for so long either. I could see how that all makes it seem a lot nicer but I wouldn't anyways, my issuse is I am always dryer than I would like to be down there and I am easy to get yeast infections because of it so I can't tolerate any handling of my inner parts that's unnecessary because it absorbs my moisture and then i'll most likely get a yeast infection. I cut down to maybe one a year since I switched to pads only. But I may look into one because it sounds a hell of a lot better than tampons witch would absorb me bone dry for times like wanting to go swimming. The past couple years I just don't go when it's that time or stay on the shore while my husband just plays with the kids in the water I might be into trying it just for those times so I could go in the water again. Thanks for the info!

Quoting soon2bmomof3619:

I just wanted to say that I've never gotten much blood on my hands, and definitely not everytime. The only time I got enough to really notice was when AF first started up, with the first insert, after that maybe a very little bit when reinserting, but barely enough to make a very small light pink smear on a piece of TP. I absolutely HATE tampons myself lol, but I LOVE my cup, and unlike a tampon, if it's in right you can't even tell that it's there. Not knocking or bashing, just giving some info. I used pads for years, my favorite was Always Infinti, and I thought those were great because you could barely feel them. I actually have a full box and a half sitting under my sink right now. I am saving them for after my next baby.
Quoting lurveable:

I can't get behind the idea of getting my fingers all bloody every time I have to pull it out insert it. Pass. I don't even like using tampons though. That's my vaginas time to relax. haha

AF2011
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Quoting TiffanyRose06:

I had never heard of it until cm

I'll stick to tampons and pads

thenameshailie
by Emerald Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Ive looked into those and this may be the stupidest question ever but....they look kinda big and I know that I have given birth, but I wonder if having something so large in there for extended periods of time will cause looseness?????

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Good question I have been wondering the same as I look at the sizes and stuff

Quoting thenameshailie:

Ive looked into those and this may be the stupidest question ever but....they look kinda big and I know that I have given birth, but I wonder if having something so large in there for extended periods of time will cause looseness?????

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:54 PM

good luck!

Quoting lurveable:

Thank you! soon2bmom shared a link with me I have just learned so much and I am completely sold on trying it out now. You guys completely changed my mind about it here today. I really hope it works out for me.

Quoting Anonymous:

it's medical grade silicone or TPE depending on cup brand you purchase. There are several to choose from. So no worries about dryness factor and it's not going to absorb bodily fluids.
Quoting lurveable:

I take no offense, thank you, I really didn't know much about it to be honest I just assumed it would happen that way [be really messy every time] I pictured like half my hand soaked in blood from trying to get it in there lol. And I read another one of your comments here I think it was you anyways, I didn't know you could leave it in for so long either. I could see how that all makes it seem a lot nicer but I wouldn't anyways, my issuse is I am always dryer than I would like to be down there and I am easy to get yeast infections because of it so I can't tolerate any handling of my inner parts that's unnecessary because it absorbs my moisture and then i'll most likely get a yeast infection. I cut down to maybe one a year since I switched to pads only. But I may look into one because it sounds a hell of a lot better than tampons witch would absorb me bone dry for times like wanting to go swimming. The past couple years I just don't go when it's that time or stay on the shore while my husband just plays with the kids in the water I might be into trying it just for those times so I could go in the water again. Thanks for the info!

Quoting soon2bmomof3619:

I just wanted to say that I've never gotten much blood on my hands, and definitely not everytime. The only time I got enough to really notice was when AF first started up, with the first insert, after that maybe a very little bit when reinserting, but barely enough to make a very small light pink smear on a piece of TP. I absolutely HATE tampons myself lol, but I LOVE my cup, and unlike a tampon, if it's in right you can't even tell that it's there. Not knocking or bashing, just giving some info. I used pads for years, my favorite was Always Infinti, and I thought those were great because you could barely feel them. I actually have a full box and a half sitting under my sink right now. I am saving them for after my next baby.
Quoting lurveable:

I can't get behind the idea of getting my fingers all bloody every time I have to pull it out insert it. Pass. I don't even like using tampons though. That's my vaginas time to relax. haha

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:56 PM

no it won't cause you to become "loose". these are flexible cups and come in many different sizes, and colours

http://menstrual-cups.livejournal.com/

Quoting Anonymous:

Good question I have been wondering the same as I look at the sizes and stuff

Quoting thenameshailie:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Yeah I went to Amazon and read the funniest review I'd ever read in my life under the one star section.  Her hilarious and horrific account makes me want to go ahead and try it all the more.  It said you need to twist it 360 degrees before removal to dislodge suction.  Sounds creepy but better than thinking it will fall out. :D Thanks!!

Quoting Misheldonann:

No it stays put. You have to really relax and bare down. It's hard to explain. When you sneeze it would probably just cause you to do a keigal.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ignorant question here but if it's based on suction and you can bare down to push it out...what if you have violent sneezes or fart?  I mean does it move or try to come out?

BioNerd
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:27 AM

I have never heard of such a thing, honestly.

KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:30 AM
I got softcups to try out this cycle.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:12 AM
I didn't know you could keep it in so long! That's actually awesome! Now I might try it..Thanks for letting me know that.:)

Quoting Anonymous:

You don't have to dump it as much as you need to change a tampon. There are days I have it in on my heaviest day for like 12 hours. That thing is fuller than it should be. Past the max fill line. Seriously, it still doesn't leak. You shouldn't have to be in targets bathroom cleaning it up. If you can't find yourself home or in a good quiet bathroom every 10-12 hours, you have bigger problems. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

True. I'm just picturing me, at target, with my 3 year old in the bathroom all in my business, my glove on , trying to get my diva cup out, squirt bottle, the whole shabang hahhahaha.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

I watched a video on YouTube on a diva cup. Without actually showing anything of course the woman demonstrated it. It was a reusable one. I thought it was a hassle and kinda gross. I saw someone mention a disposable one. That seems more doable

IDK I work as a nurses aide in a nursing home so it can't be anymore "gross" then what I have to deal with at work...and at least its my own body fluids. lol besides there is always gloves you could use...if you really wanted...and it kinda seems like it could save a bit of money in the long run I guess.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN