Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

food stamps, seriously!!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 202 Replies
16 moms liked this

So you food stamp haters say that people on food stamps should not have internet, a car or a cell phone.

Lets discuss Internet first:

How do you expect people to look for a job or a better job without internet access? Yea they can go to the library or workforce but what if they don't have a library or a workforce close to them. The closes library is a 30 min drive from my house and the closes workforce is 1 1/2 hours from my house. It would cost more in gas to get there than it would for me to provide internet. Even if they did go to  library to look for a job at the library they have an hour limit, when you are filling out applications online 90% of them also have assessment test you have to take and those assessment test can take from 30min to an hour to take. and then some people have little kids having 1 or 2 or more little kids with them at the library can became a real issues being that the library wants people to be quit and spending an hour or longer at library or workforce small children start to get restless. There are not many paper application anymore. Wal-mart, K-mart, McDonald's, Burger king, Dollar General, Family Dollar  and most convenient stores all have online application now along with assessment test.

Some people have middle school and high school children who has assignments that require internet access and no they do not always have time to do those assignments in school either. and yea they could go to the library but once again what if it isn't close. By the time my middle school child get home from school and off the school bus the library is close and even if it wasn't it would be by the time I got home and got her and got to the library. I have a friend who has a child who is in gifted classes at school because of those classes he has online classes that are college classes and online classes during the summer. She is a full time working mom. Having internet access is a have to have in her situation. and because she provide internet for her child, he is now going to college next year on a scholarship. Yes she is on PA.

Next we will discuss having a car:

You have to have a car for people to get to the library or workforce. Yes you can take a bus but that cost money as well and can cost more than it can to buy gas and then if you have children you are waiting at a bus stop on the side of a main highway with little children and then taking your kids on those buses.   you have to have a car to pick of application at the few places that still do paper application or you can take the bus there for them to tell you to go online.

Now i will discuss a cell phone:

You have to have a cell phone in order for jobs to contact you and no not everyone has a friend, family or a neighbor who you can give as a contact number. I don't. My boss won't even hire you if you don't have a car or a phone. she has be able to get a hold of you to call you off work, to call you into work, to call you to come in early ect.... I am her assistant and i know what it is like to not be able to get a hold of someone when you need them to come in early.

In todays world having a car, internet and a phone is essential. You have to have the following in order to get a job to privide the basic; food, shelter and clothing all of the necessities needed to survive.

You may not see it if you are not in the situation but it life now for some people now.

BTW, I have internet that i do not pay for, I have a car that is paid off and i do have a cell phone. I also have cable as well  but i also don't pay for it either.

THANK YOU  AND HAVE A GREAT NIGHT!

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:53 PM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:03 PM

bump

Mommy383
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:05 PM
2 moms liked this

banging head into wall

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Tl;dr

audreesmama
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:06 PM
3 moms liked this
Leave the fucking horse alone.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:06 PM

what?? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Tl;dr

MysticIceWater
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:07 PM
11 moms liked this

You posted what I have been wanting to for a long time. :) Thank you this was well said and well written and got a great point accross that a lot of PA bashers dont see. 

ammiemarie0307
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:07 PM

i agree how do you not pay for so many bills

Elle.tea.22
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Yawn

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:08 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting audreesmama:

Leave the fucking horse alone.
the damn thing won't leave me alone. :-/
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured