Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Aspergers

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:55 PM
J3
  • 18 Replies

My 6 yr old DD, Juliana, is going in on the 25th to be evaluated.  I'm sort of nervous.  Any words of wisdom?

Here she is with her goofball brother on Easter...

Are you on the Weight Watchers program? This is a group for support through your weight loss journey. No judging or drama here!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/118404

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hopeym23
by J3 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:57 PM

BUMP!

momma2mms
by Kristin on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Good luck. What makes you think that she has aspergers?

anotherhalf
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:59 PM

My only advice is that if you do get a diagnosis, get a second opinion.  Friend's of ours had their daughter misdiagnosed as Aspergers when she was really ADHD.

hopeym23
by J3 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Her teacher noticed some red flags (minly social) that I agreed with.

Quoting momma2mms:

Good luck. What makes you think that she has aspergers?

Are you on the Weight Watchers program? This is a group for support through your weight loss journey. No judging or drama here!

hopeym23
by J3 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Good advise thank you.

Quoting anotherhalf:

My only advice is that if you do get a diagnosis, get a second opinion.  Friend's of ours had their daughter misdiagnosed as Aspergers when she was really ADHD.

cymkare
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Don't worry, Mom. It isn't the end of the word if she does have it. I was diagnosed at 14. She might need some extra help in some areas but there are occasionally people in my life that go weeks without realizing I am a little different. 

CafeMom Tickers

LiliM
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Def get more than one opinion.  I had several before I would believe it.

And then get really familiar with the ADA act, and how your school handles working with kids that fall under it, and what you can ask for help with for her in school if they do give a dx of aspergers.

It's not the end of the world.  Like any other kid with SN, there are times your heart will break with the extra burden your kid carries to be "normal" like "the other kids!"  I've heard that a few times.  And my son struggles with social cues.  He doesn't see them.  Doesn't even recognize them if he does.  He's learning - he asked me the other day if I was being sarcastic, and then was able to describe to me what sarcasm was. 

It's a hard road for the kid sometimes, but while I would love for my little guy to be more comfortable with things that come easily to others, for his sake, I wouldn't change the person he is. 

anotherhalf
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Off topic - your children are beautiful and I LOVE her bright pink dress.

Quoting hopeym23:

Good advise thank you.

Quoting anotherhalf:

ANDYSMOM
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:03 PM

My DS has Aspergers.

My advice is to learn all you can.  Advocate for her.  Love her for who she is.

Hugs

hopeym23
by J3 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Thank you so much!  And she picked out the dress all herself.

Quoting anotherhalf:

Off topic - your children are beautiful and I LOVE her bright pink dress.

Quoting hopeym23:

Good advise thank you.

Quoting anotherhalf:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)