Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Medical People-especially anyone with knowledge of orthopedics

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:14 PM
  • 16 Replies

My dd is13, and has been having hip pain for quite a while now. Well, to begin with, she broke her hip when she was 9. And after that she had issues just every now and then where her hip would hurt, but I never mentioned it to a dr bc it would go away after a little bit and wasn't casuing her a lot of distress. But in the last few months, it has been happening more often, and in the last few weeks, it has gotten where it has been hurting her more and more. Sometimes she hears a popping noise in her hip, and she has been unable to lay or sit in certain positions bc it feels like there is no fat around her hip, maybe not enough cartilage? or problems with the cartilage? She just got back from a trip and she said during the trip it started hurting almost constantly and the pain is spreading down her leg, and up her back, and is just getting worse. I made her an appt with the ped tomorrow but does anyone know what this could be? Could she have broken her hip again? I'm just wondering what I'm dealing with here and if I should be overly worried or not. 

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pce68
by Patti on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:14 PM

BUMP!

pce68
by Patti on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:15 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:19 PM
I have lordosis. AkA hip.displacement. maybe she should go see a chiropractor. Because it might be out of socket
pce68
by Patti on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Anybody?

pce68
by Patti on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Maybe, but I doubt her insurance will cover chiropractor visits, and I don't have any money right now. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I have lordosis. AkA hip.displacement. maybe she should go see a chiropractor. Because it might be out of socket

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:27 PM

No idea but I hope it's something minor.

Good luck!

mammakittykat
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Sounds like sciatica. Or a pinched nerve. I have severe sciatics and it shoots sharp pains down my leg and up into my lower back.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Google SCFE and see if that sounds like what's going on.
MomLife16
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:34 PM
I was in an ATV accident when I was 17. The first week was incredibly difficult. I couldn't walk without crutches and this enormous brace on my leg. Well I've never been one to take much help and I had fallen asleep (lots of pain killers) and when I woke up my crutches weren't anywhere to be found (little sister) and I had to pee! So I attempted to walk. Big mistake. I fell. Well everyone had thought I had just added to the bruising and swelling. So my uncle (he's a chiropractor) made me ice pack myself for 2 days to get the swelling down. I went in and I had actually popped my hip out and that was what was making pain shoot up my back and maybe my leg too but that was already damaged so idk. I'd maybe check to see if something like that has happened. See if the dr will take X-rays to see what's going on. Especially before doing anything. I've had my hip pop out of place quite a few times since then when it never used to happen before the accident. GL. I know it's never easy to see your child go through pain but remember second opinions are your friend!
pce68
by Patti on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:46 PM

It does sound like what she's experiencing, except I haven't noticed her limping, so I'm not sure. Of course she doesn't show pain much so maybe she's just trying not to limp. I hope they are willing to do x-rays tomorrow, or send us somehwere for x-rays. If they don't, we might just go to the ER and see if they will check it out.

Quoting almondpigeon:

Google SCFE and see if that sounds like what's going on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)