Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Those who can do Southern Cooking!

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm 17 weeks pregnant and woke up craving fried chicken and collard greens.

Now I've never eaten let alone made collard greens and I don't normally eat fried chicken BUT if I don't get some kick ass collard greens and fried chicken today I may seriously cry. LOL

Any recipes or ideas on how to make this? Any kick ass fried chicken recipes?

by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:03 AM
Replies (61-61):
3kidz123
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Lol, thank you for the advise.

Quoting shimmifairy:

Buy a bag of greens that's already been cut if you can find it...if you use the whole plant it can be hell to get all the sand off and nothing is worse than gritty greens, lol...

So, you take the greens, put them in a colander and rinse them really good...get a little bit of onion, sliver it up pretty small...a little ham or bacon - I've used real bacon bits from the salad dressing isle in a pinch - a chicken bullion cube and the biggest pot you have because though they will cook down they take up a lot of room at the beginning...put the water just about to the top of the greens - because they will cook down and you don't want them to be swimming - cover the pot and put it on low and let it go....you want them just to be simmering...stir it around every now and then to make sure all the greens get into the broth...I do it for about an hour, but I like mine a little firmer than most people....

Be careful with the salt, being preggers and be prepared to spend some time in the "office" for the next couple of days lol...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN