Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Raising Taxes on the wealthy VS. Cutting "entitlement benefits"

Thoughts? :)

by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:08 AM
Replies (41-50):
SamMom912
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Ha ha ha... You think ss and medicare will be there when youre ready to collect... Ha ha ha.. That is a very very funny joke. 

Sorry honey, 150 isnt a lot of money. It truly depends on where you live. I have friends that make 30 in the midwest and have a nicer life then those of us making 200 in NYC area. 

Their mortgage is 440 pm for 2000 sf, and taxes are 1ooo a year.... 

My mortgage is 3000 pm for 2000 sf and taxes are 19k a year... 

They work about 40 hours a week, my hubby works 80 hours a week. 

So really... The "absolute" perfect world everything would be equal... But really... Lets look at ALL the fators before Obama takes any more money from us "rich" people... Who are still scrimping and saving to pay our taxes and have a decent life for our kids. 

Quoting chrissyk3:

So now Social Security and Medicare are PA and under the entitled category? Really could you people get any more ridiculous? I pay into social security and medicare out of every paycheck and you better believe I will ise it if I need it. And I definitely believe if you make 150,000+ a year you should pay more taxes than someone making 30,000 a year. My father worked for 35 years and when he couldn't even stand for longer than 10 min he had to fight for his social security.

LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Actually it's some of that and some off shore accounts and loopholes/ tax breaks his accountant finagles. Those are not our real incomes but he makes alot more than us and pays close to the same in taxes. Either way if we all paid the same flat rate with NO exceptions it would be more profitable for the country. Bit that's JMO.
Hopefully once my son graduates high school in 2 years we can move. Our area is very expensive.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LAXmom21:

So if I make $150,000 a year and pay $30,000 in taxes why is it on for my neighbor to make $500,000 and pay only $35,000 in taxes? Shouldn't he pay way more?

Quoting TeamTARDIS:

So taking more money from the rich to give to the poor? Typical.

The only way that could happen is if your neighbor had ONLY unearned income. UNEARNED income is taxed at a lower rate for everyone. You could invest some of your money in whatever you wanted and get taxed at 15% om that income. The change in that law is one of the big reasons the country enjoyed such prosperity in the 90's when the tax laws changed. You see when people invest in businesses by buying their stock, the companies have the capitol they need to expand and grow.  That in turn creates jobs for people.

Tax Rate on Short-Term Capital Gains

Capital gain income from assets held one year or less is taxed at the ordinary income tax rates in effect for the year, ranging from 10% to 35%.-So SHORT TERM INCOME WOULD BE AT 35% FOR YOUR WEALTHY NEIGHBOR

Tax Rate on Long-Term Capital Gains

Capital gain income from assets held longer than one year are generally taxed at a special long-term capital gains rate. The rate that applies depends on which ordinary income tax bracket you fall under.
  • Zero percent rate if your total income (including capital gain income) places you in the ten or fifteen percent tax brackets.
  • 15% rate if your total income (including capital gain income) places you in the twenty-five percent tax bracket or higher.
  • THIS IS HUGE FOR THE PEOPLE WHO WANT TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT AND INVEST-PARTICULARLY THOSE IN THE FREE BRACKET OF UNDER 15%

Tax Rates on Dividend Income

Dividends are classified either as ordinary dividends or as qualified dividends. Ordinary dividends are taxed at ordinary tax rates for whatever tax bracket you are in. Qualified dividends are taxed at the long-term capital gains tax rates of zero percent or 15% percent rate. To be eligible as a qualified dividend, the dividends must be from a domestic corporation or a qualifying foreign corporation and you must hold the stock "for more than 60 days during the 121-day period that begins 60 days before the ex-dividend dat

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NNB
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:55 AM

So you had 4 weeks off out of a year?? Wow! Surely are flying the high life!!! How many weeks off do you think the governement get off?

Quoting AJsMom81507:

my father worked his ass off, he OWNED his OWN business, made HIMSELF rich, NO ONE else.  

every year we would vacation at least 4 weeks out of the year, disney always, an overseas vacation for another week, and the other two weeks we would travel within the US on 2-3 night vacations, wherever we wanted to.

he busted his ass, to make himself rich.  then he got into politics. 

if you bust your ass to make someone else rich, that is your issue, but i certainly dont want to pay for you to sit on your ass, because you chose to mooch off the govt

Quoting NNB:

So Working your ass off is the kind of life you want? Do you really think that we NEED to have every dam person working every hour god sends to make things function... no, it's all profit, while you're slaving away you're making some one else rich! Cool!

And, most of the people on these assistants are working hard but can't make ends meet, due to tax and unnecessary high prices.

Quoting AJsMom81507:

because some of work our asses off to have the money we have, it's not our fault that others are so effin lazy or didnt manage their money properly when they were able.

sorry,  my father died he reached eligible age for SSI & Medicare, but i can damn well tell you he didnt need it.  he worked his ass off to provide the life we had, and when he died, he didnt leave multi millions, but he had plenty to live at least another 40+ years with no help.

my father came from a very poor family, but he built himself up from the ground up.  NO help from anyone

Quoting NNB:

Why is that a bad thing?

Quoting TeamTARDIS:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:56 AM
3 moms liked this

All the new taxes did to my household this year was impact the amount of money I gave directly to charity. And I'm not the only one that had to change that. Instead of giving money to a group where it goes directly to the needy with very low if no overhead, I now have to give it to the government to end up giving just pennies to those who are in need. The poor lose out that way more than the way I was doing it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Quoting hhhanna:

Making the rich poorer does NOT make the poor richer.  When you raise taxes on one group of people, the vast majority of time it affects all, especially the poor.  There should be 'smart' changes, people like the Clintons, the Bushes, Pelosi - they are all eligible for social security; do any of them need it?  It should be means tested, if you have 'other' income that exceeds a number (lets say $100K a year) then social security for you needs to be cut back if not eliminated.  Taxing the 'rich' is NEVER the answer.

So if you work hard and get ahead all of the money you paid into SS becomes someone else's money?

Good luck getting the next generation to pay in then.

Better to make the people who retire and collect ss continue to pay in on their income to SS.  At least that would seem fairer.

But the easiest way to ensure that SS and medicare remain viable is to have everyone pay in on ALL of their income-including unearned income. That would solve most of the issues in one simple step.

TeamTARDIS
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:57 AM
6 moms liked this
So someone is intelligent, resourceful, hard working and/or frugal enough to earn wealth shouldn't get to keep it?
Sorry but that is such an entitled attitude and why America is so fucked up.
Why should little Susie work hard in school, get good grades, go to college and excell in hard work when she can drop out and take a hand out instead and claim 'I work 40 hours a week flipping burgers and can't survive.'
There is nothing wrong with flipping burgers, but if you refuse to put in the sweat and hard work to reach the top then you shouldn't get the perks that are offered at the top. That's like paying for an economy seat in a plane and expecting to get into the first class lounge.
BTW most wealthy people work 60+ hours a week and bring work home to do on the weekends.

Quoting NNB:

Yes Seriously, these people seriously think it is ok to sit on huge amounts of money when there are others starving and dieing, not because they wont work, but majority of people can't find a job, work minimum wage, 40 + hours a week or more and still can't make ends meet. I have no room for the rich. They are disgusting greedy people, if the government didn't tax so high and CORPORATIONS paid more of their tax then things would be better for the poor!

Quoting TeamTARDIS:

Why is that a bad thing? Seriously? Leaning on one group to fund another is never a good idea. Many if the wealthiest families are leaving the USA because of this practice, so when they are gone who are they going to take from next?

Quoting NNB:

Why is that a bad thing?

Quoting TeamTARDIS:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lorik1969
They don't need to leave the country. We have multi million and billion dollar companies who pay 0 taxes, millionaires who pay less, percentage-wise, than the middle class. Why leave? The middle class is being bled dry. What are they going to do when we have nothing left to give? It's not even about taking from the rich to give to the poor (although I think that term was invented by the Republicans), it's about paying your fair share.

Quoting TeamTARDIS:

Then they need to go after the politicians who bled their fund dry.

What is America going to do once the wealthiest people leave the country? Who are they going to bleed next?

Quoting IandLoveandYou:

Well.. Social security and Medicare are benefits for the elderly who were told that, that money would be there for them when they retire.

Quoting TeamTARDIS:

mamaninny
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:57 AM
3 moms liked this
I think that everyone should pay the same percentage of thier income for taxes, regardless of how much they make a year.
NNB

Are you happy working 7 days a week? I mean truly happy? Do you feel you have a quality of life? You have to slave all of your time to feed your family? im sorry :(

Quoting cjsmom1:

I disagree. Most people who earn a lot donate huge sums of money to worthy causes. Either way they worked hard and can do what they see fit with it. I understand falling on hard times but what you do to get past it is important. I work seven days a week to provide for my family.

Quoting NNB:

Yes Seriously, these people seriously think it is ok to sit on huge amounts of money when there are others starving and dieing, not because they wont work, but majority of people can't find a job, work minimum wage, 40 + hours a week or more and still can't make ends meet. I have no room for the rich. They are disgusting greedy people, if the government didn't tax so high and CORPORATIONS paid more of their tax then things would be better for the poor!

Quoting TeamTARDIS:

Why is that a bad thing? Seriously? Leaning on one group to fund another is never a good idea. Many if the wealthiest families are leaving the USA because of this practice, so when they are gone who are they going to take from next?

Quoting NNB:

Why is that a bad thing?

Quoting TeamTARDIS:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

All the new taxes did to my household this year was impact the amount of money I gave directly to charity. And I'm not the only one that had to change that. Instead of giving money to a group where it goes directly to the needy with very low if no overhead, I now have to give it to the government to end up giving just pennies to those who are in need. The poor lose out that way more than the way I was doing it. 

New taxes? what new taxes? PAYROLL taxes reverted to their old levels-they weren't raised, but the reduction in them ended.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)