Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't see why y'all so happy to work so much! **UPDATE**

Posted by   + Show Post

I really don't. I don't see why any one would want to work 7 days a week to support their family?
And why you would then say this system is great.. The old line that there are oppurtunites for everyone is ridiculous, because there really isn't. That's why so many people go to university, end up not being able to get their job and get a minimum wage job, not make ends meet and be assualted for needing help to survive... bearing in mind that they work full time, thats ALOT of hours

Are you really going to be happy, even if you're not on PA, dieing knowing that all you did was work work and work just to make ends meet? weather you're wealthy or poor, what quality of life is that? Why would you want this? Why do you argue to keep this?

It's just wrong. And then you all stand and support the rich, they people who work very little, holiday for most of the year and you stand and defend them. Wow. It's just unbelievable!

Wow, you all are a fiery lot! Any way

FYI.. i'm not on PA

Pretty much ALL of you missed the point to be honest... but that's ok, according to you all i'm the stupid one :/ being as you all want to work and that's how u love spending your life.

Thank you for all the lovely insults and name calling thrown my way, while you guys had fun doing that I was out enjoying the weather :)

One last point. I really think humanity has hit an all time low being that every one is so selfish and you all just think of your selves. Do you realise 1 million families are now homeless in Americe? But that's ok, because oppurtunites are there for everyone... smdh!

You ladies are not nice people, it's amazing how many resulted to name calling, yes, I have a very different oppinion to a lot of you, but you should try and understand what it is I am saying before you get all defensive!

by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:08 AM
Replies (41-50):
CuriousArentYa
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:47 AM

At first when we were starting out in our careers we did have to work our butts off and work a lot. As we got older and climbed up the ranks we made more money are were able to not work as much (enjoying the fruits of our labor). My husband is the next person in line to make Lt. which means more money a month, which means he will not have to work as much at his second job. 

Starting out is really hard, which is one of the reasons it's a good idea to wait before starting a family. Get yourself established and get your feet firmly planted in the ground before starting a family. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:47 AM
How old are you?
sam12796
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:47 AM

You sound angry because you don't have money. If you do then why so angry? People who go to school and work their butts off or who start big companies and make it to being wealthy deserve that money. They worked for it. In comparison there are not as many wealthy people as there are middle class etc..secondly I am a working mom and my DH works. We have to to make ends meet. I think even if I didn't have to I would. I do enjoy working outside of the home. I have been working for 26 years now and it seems second nature to me. Do not lump everyone into one catagory.

chelsone
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:49 AM
My boyfriend normally works 6 days a week. Hes off every sunday. Working saturdays is optional. If he works, he gets overtime. We need the money, but every once in awhile he takes the day off to spend with me and our little guy. Its nice. Yes, we struggle with money and would like more, but our son has everything he needs. And thats all that matters.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
idunno1234
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:49 AM

This isn't necessarily a "class" issue, meaning rich vs poor.

There are lazy poor people as well as rich.  Of course there are plenty of hardworking poor people, as well as rich.

No, I do not think that people should have to work 60+ hours a week in order to survive but you just gotta do what you gotta do and I'd rather work to support myself than have the government continue to pay for my family's food, because being dependent on others SUCKS. 

Hard work and good choices should eventually lead to an easier life.  Not always (my life can attest to that) but I will go to my grave thinking that its the way it should be.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Too early for so many questions
LucyHarper
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:52 AM

The people who have a lot of money worked for that money or their parents worked for that money. I know like two wealthy people who sit around vacationing all of the time, most I know work very hard for what they have. They earned that money, so no, I am not mad that they have it and I don't. I'm not just going to sit here and not work and end up in the gutter simply because its "not fair" that some have more money than I do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Yes I do work. I work from home, roughly 40 hours a week. Sometimes less, sometimes more. I also created my own opportunity and own job when I was laid off 4 years ago. I was on unemployment for 1.5 years while trying to find another job with no luck. So I started watching a child from home and I have watched her for the last 2.5 years. I don't make as much as I did when I worked outside the home, but I am working and it does help my family. I know you have talents and experience...think of something you like and enjoy...make your own job. People will always pay for services if you are good at what you do. You may have to start off small, but with time and effort, it can grow.

Quoting LAXmom21:

But do you work? If not then I think you are missing the OPs point. Some people have both parents working and barely have a day off. It's different if one parent is home.
My DH was laid off after 20 years. He started his own business 10 years ago. Unfortunately, the economy his business VERY hard and still is. But he works his ass off. I was just laid off last month. I have a bachelors, graduate work and have apples to a million jobs, nothing. We won't move, my youngest is a sophomore and on his way to a D3 partial scholarship, the housing prices declined so much I wouldn't even break even on my house and his business is based here. So tell me how to MAKE MY OEN OPPORTUNITIES please?

Quoting Anonymous:

My DH busts his ass to provide for us. He doesn't work 7 days but he works 6. Sometimes 70 and 80 hours a week. We vacation, we do things as a family. There is time for work and time for play. But he takes his resposibility for his family seriosuly. Are we rich? No, but we are provided for, on our own, with no help from anyone. If you don't think there is opportunity for everyone, that is sad. MAKE YOUR OWN OPPORTUNITES! That's what made America the country that all other countries wanted to be. That has been lost. People want to sit around and wait on someone else to make their dreams come true. It is sad!

SusanD
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I grew up extremely poor (and I do mean extremely poor, not kind of poor). I would NEVER want that life, or anything like that for my children. I remember being embarrassed that I was wearing clothes that were given to me, because we were too poor to buy school clothes, from a girl a grade above me named Tracy's mom. I remember going to school in Tracy's old clothes in Jr. High and being made fun of because everyone knew that they were her old clothes. I remember the use of welfare, and the times when we couldn't get foodstamps and my mother did without meals so that we kids and my dad who had (to go to work) could eat. I remember my mother struggling to get her GED when I was in the 5th grade and finding out that she had scored so highly that she was given a college scholarship. That was one of the proudest moments of her life, and the moment when she realized that she was worthy of an education. I remember my mother struggling to take care of us and go to college. I remember how hard it was for her at times financially and how at times she had to talk to her professors because she couldn't afford the gas to commute to college and had to miss lectures. I remember when she graduated 5 years later (my Jr year of high school) and how proud everyone was of her, but more importantly how proud I was of her. That moment made me realize that I didn't have to settle for this life that I was born into, a life of poverty. I realized at that moment that I didn't have to continue to be a poor girl from west Texas and that there could be far more to life for me than just existing and eventually marrying some local guy and living the same life I had for the previous 17yrs.

I would NEVER want my children's experiences to be anything like mine, and I worked hard to make sure that this wasn't the life that they had. I worked my ass off, served my country, got a college degree, and have a rewarding career. Now we are not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination. I don't work 7 days a week, but there are many times that my husband does. I work 3-4 days per week, long hours. We do what we do, and work as hard as we do because we have the drive to be successful. My husband has that drive naturally. His father is a hard worker, and his grandfathers were both hard workers. I work as hard as I do because the success that I have achieved in my career makes me proud and pushes me to continue to be successful. Our success is setting good examples for our children. Our work ethics set a good example for the children. Our success is something that we can be proud of as a family. My children can go to college and hopefully experience as much success, and possibly more, because we have started the process to make a college education attainable for them. We wouldn't be able to do so if we didn't work hard.

macbudsmom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I hate working 40+ hours/week.  However, I take pride in knowing I help others and provide for my kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)