Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Very High Chance of North Korea Missle Launch :/

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 106 Replies

Alert levels and surveillance are ramped up in South Korea on Wednesday as officials say North Korea may launch a missile "at any time."

SEOUL, South Korea/WASHINGTON — South Korea said Wednesday there was "very high" probability that North Korea, engaged in weeks of threats of war, would launch a medium-range missile at any time as a show of strength despite diplomatic efforts to soften its position.

The U.S.-South Korea Combined Forces Command in Seoul, South Korea, raised its "Watchcon 3" status, a normal condition, by one level to boost monitoring and increase the number of intelligence staff, a senior military official told the South's Yonhap news agency.

Foreign Minister Yun Byung-se told a South Korean parliamentary hearing: "According to intelligence obtained by our side and the U.S., the possibility of a missile launch by North Korea is very high."

North Korea, he said, could launch a Musudan missile "at any time from now."

North Korean conflict.

Click image to see more photos

Yun said he was coordinating with China and Russia "to make efforts to persuade North Korea to change its attitude."

China is North Korea's sole major ally, although its influence over Pyongyang is open to question and Beijing has, in any event, backed the new sanctions. Moscow backed North Korea in Soviet times, though its influence has waned unquestionably.

Yun said South Korea had asked China and Russia to intercede with the North to ease tension that has mounted since the U.N. Security Council slapped fresh sanctions on Pyongyang after a new nuclear arms test in February.

But all was calm in the South Korean capital, Seoul, long used to North Korean invective under its 30-year-old leader Kim Jong Un. Offices worked normally and customers crowded into city-center cafes.

Other officials in Seoul said surveillance of North Korean activity had been enhanced. Missile transporters had been spotted in South Hamgyong province along North Korea's east coast — possible sites for a launch.

North Korea observes several anniversaries in the next few days and they could be pretexts for military displays of strength. These include the first anniversary of Kim's formal ascent to power, the 20th anniversary of rule by his father Kim Jong Il, who died in 2011, and the birth date next Monday of his grandfather, state founder Kim Il Sung.

The near-daily threats to South Korea and the United States in recent weeks were muted in state media Wednesday, with the focus largely on the festivities lying ahead.

In Washington, Adm. Samuel Locklear, the commander of U.S. forces in the Pacific region, also said the U.S. military believed North Korea had moved an unspecified number of Musudan missiles to its east coast.

The Musudan can reach targets at a distance of 2,100 miles or more, according to South Korea, which would put Japan within range and may even threaten Guam, home to U.S. bases. South Korea can be reached by the North's short-range Scud missiles.

Patricia Lewis, research director at the London-based think tank Chatham House, said that strictly on the basis of the North's vast conventional forces, caution was required.

"The conventional military capabilities of North Korea are all too real and all too close to Seoul," she wrote in a paper. "Any incursion could escalate involving the U.S. and Japan, China, perhaps Russia and others."

Pyongyang has tested short-range Scud missiles. The longer-range Musudan and Nodong missiles are an unknown quantity.

"If the missile was in defense of the homeland, I would certainly recommend that action (of intercepting it). And if it was defense of our allies, I would recommend that action," Locklear told a Senate hearing in Washington.

Pyongyang has threatened a nuclear strike on the United States — something it does not have the capacity to carry out — and "war" with "puppet" South Korea — threats that appear to be aimed at least in part at boosting internal support for Kim.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EvaTheDiva29
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:54 AM
25 moms liked this

someone should just shoot that midget. hes like a chiuahuah with little man syndrome.

Jade_Lufercus
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:56 AM

HAhahahahaha. Yes.

Quoting EvaTheDiva29:

someone should just shoot that midget. hes like a chiuahuah with little man syndrome.

ame85
by Chemistry cat on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:57 AM
12 moms liked this
We will strike down a missile if one is launched. I feel sorry for all the North Koreans who will die as a result of their leader's arrogance and war mongering attitude.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:58 AM

lol

Quoting Jade_Lufercus:

HAhahahahaha. Yes.

Quoting EvaTheDiva29:

TeamTARDIS
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:59 AM
6 moms liked this
I am usually not for mass invasion, but I honestly think that country needs to have the leaders assassinated and the border to be thrown open. Food needs to be shipped in and medical personel needs to go and help those poor people.
I think that when people finally get a good look inside NK they are going to be shocked and appalled by what is found.
The human rights violations alone should warrant people stepping into to intercede.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I just wish all the nonsense and threats would stop

Quoting ame85:

We will strike down a missile if one is launched. I feel sorry for all the North Koreans who will die as a result of their leader's arrogance and war mongering attitude.

ilovemykids732
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:03 AM
7 moms liked this

[the last guy is PSY, gangnam style singer]

Quoting EvaTheDiva29:

ame85
by Chemistry cat on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Anonymous:

It has to burn itself out. I really hope he isn't crazy/stupid enough to launch that missile of his. If that happens there will be a great loss of life and the Koreans do not deserve to suffer anymore as a result of Kim Jong Un. They can't even feed themselves, how will they support a full blown war? It's in their interest to just back away slowly and comply with any and all requests made of them.
ame85

"Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity."
Jalestra
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I just don't understand why we don't send in someone to knock the guy off. Everyone keeps going on and on about China. Are we incapable of garnering support outside of China?

audreesmama
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this
They've been saying this for years. I'm not concerned.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN