Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The kid got suspended and I feel bad - even though I know I shouldn't.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 51 Replies

DS is 14 and has had many problems over the years with being bullied.  He struggles with depression and spent last summer in a day hospital program because he kept talking about suicide.  We have done a lot to get him the help he needs and everything has been going pretty well since the start of school. 

On Friday he came home upset because some kids were making fun of him calling him an internet sensation because he was on a youtube video.  So we search and find that a kid posted a video of him eating with the title "Monkey eats a sub" and the video was taken at a school activity the night before.  As soon as we saw it, DH called the school and spoke to the Principal.  Right after that I called the kids mom and asked her to have the kid remove the video.  The kid then called and argued with DH saying he didn't do it but another boy did.  Whatever.  The video did get removed.

So Monday DS comes home and said he saw the kid first thing in the am but didn't see him the rest of the day.  We found out last night from DD that the kid was in fact suspended.  I am torn because I feel bad it had to come to that but at the same time I am glad something was done.  He brought it on himself.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy2zbg
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Great for the school to take it into their own hands...

panther79
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Don't feel bad. It sounds like the kid was bullying your son.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
angevil53
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this
Good. He's an asshole. Id suspend anyone that had anything to do with it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
strictmomhere
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Glad he got in trouble:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizardannie1966
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:18 AM

He should have been suspended.

However, where was the video made? I am assuming from at school lunch time?

Are the parent's of these kid's going to be held responsible and is this where it ends? Or will the school be proactive and actually address what happened, who was involved and what punishment will be faced by ANY other student who participates in any other type of bullying activity?

How is your son? How is he dealing with all of this?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:19 AM

This is the same boy that had one of his cousins commit suicide last summer because she was bullied.  I guess he learned nothing.

Quoting panther79:

raefmom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:20 AM
2 moms liked this

Try not to feel bad. Maybe the kid will learn a lesson. 

Plus it teaches he others that the school will not tolerate that sort of behavior. 

Octobersmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Cyberbullying is serious.  The kid got less than he deserved IMO

Octobersmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:22 AM

What's he still doing in school then?  He should have been expelled if his bully is that hardcore.

Quoting Anonymous:

This is the same boy that had one of his cousins commit suicide last summer because she was bullied.  I guess he learned nothing.

Quoting panther79:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:25 AM

The video was taken at school the night before - it was sub night for all the kids that played basketball.  It was set up so that the kids sat with their teams and his team just happens to be a bunch of punks.

Not sure what else is being done.  The boy's grandmother (who he lives with) is a custodian at the school and I know the Principal spoke to her right away on Friday. 

The school does have an acceptable use policy for technology and what was done violated that policy. 

DS is okay.  I made sure he knew that if there was any retribution he should go to the Principal immediately and let her know.  Yesterday one of the boys did say something nasty to him so he did go to her.  Not sure where that is going though.  The Principal has been aware of his issues for many years but has never really done much about it so I was really surprised to see her take it this seriously.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

He should have been suspended.

However, where was the video made? I am assuming from at school lunch time?

Are the parent's of these kid's going to be held responsible and is this where it ends? Or will the school be proactive and actually address what happened, who was involved and what punishment will be faced by ANY other student who participates in any other type of bullying activity?

How is your son? How is he dealing with all of this?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)