Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

really? you got suspended?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

my son and his friends got their hair dyed last week during spring break, no big deal their school rules say nothing about "extreme" hair styles. so its the 3rd day of school back from spring break and my son calls me and says "me and Alison got suspended because of our hair" i say "how did only you and Alison get suspended? your whole group of friends got their hair dyed!" apparently they got a new security guard at school and my son pissed him off laughing at something this morning so he told the principal my son and Alison's hair was distracting everyone else...so i went to the school and tried to figure out what the problem was....my son and Alison were doing a skit from a performance they saw on youtube and it was making everyone laugh, then him and Alison started singing the ending song from the performance and the ending song isnt even bad it says stupid in it *GASP* apparently the security guard didnt find the skit funny.....thats literally the only thing my son and Alison did this morning before getting called up to the office and getting suspended......ugh now i get to keep my son home until next week....his pissed off because he has to cut his fohawk....it took him a year to get it as long as it was, Alison cant even cut her hair because her whole head is dyed red...not even a bright red like my ds's, hers is a red that fades to mousy brown/red

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Replies (21-26):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:13 PM

If you are going to give your kid a stupid looking haircut like a bright red fohawk, expect some negative attention.

Lizardannie1966
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Fight this then!

Maybe I just have a built-in issue with traditional public schools in general (youngest child is educated here at home with an online ps), but having seen through the eyes and experiences of my two older kid's who both attended the same traditional ps, I guess I am jaded a little to administrative BS that is unfounded.

Quoting Anonymous:

security guard said nothing to them, they are in drama class so its normal for the drama kids to do skits out in the quad for practice(new security guard knows this), my son and Alison planned to do this skit for extra credit in class on friday. 

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

While I haven't seen you actually write this, I am wondering if you're feeling your son and his friend are being picked on a little by the school?

Did the security guard ask them to stop and they refused? were they being loud and disruptive?

Unless there is an addendum to the school rules on the hair color/style, then I would honestly fight the suspension were this my child and only as it relates to the hair issue. Schools should not be able to pick and choose what they suspend for/don't suspend at all, though I know that many do.

I'd also ask the principal how many teachers dye their hair, what color it is and how distracting can it be?

Quoting Anonymous:

iv looked 4 times and theres nothing at all, this high school is pretty lax the only thing the dont allow is bellies and under wear showing

i did talk to the security guard and he said "they were being idiots,singing about bold and stupid men and dumb crap like that" 

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

A). Make sure you check out the school rules on hairstyles once again, and especially dye jobs. Many schools do not allow children to dye their hair, especially in extreme colors.

B). Talk to the security guard to get the other side of the story.

Quoting Anonymous:

my son and his friends got their hair dyed last week during spring break, no big deal their school rules say nothing about "extreme" hair styles. so its the 3rd day of school back from spring break and my son calls me and says "me and Alison got suspended because of our hair" i say "how did only you and Alison get suspended? your whole group of friends got their hair dyed!" apparently they got a new security guard at school and my son pissed him off laughing at something this morning so he told the principal my son and Alison's hair was distracting everyone else...so i went to the school and tried to figure out what the problem was....my son and Alison were doing a skit from a performance they saw on youtube and it was making everyone laugh, then him and Alison started singing the ending song from the performance and the ending song isnt even bad it says stupid in it *GASP* apparently the security guard didnt find the skit funny.....thats literally the only thing my son and Alison did this morning before getting called up to the office and getting suspended......ugh now i get to keep my son home until next week....his pissed off because he has to cut his fohawk....it took him a year to get it as long as it was, Alison cant even cut her hair because her whole head is dyed red...not even a bright red like my ds's, hers is a red that fades to mousy brown/red

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

If you are going to give your kid a stupid looking haircut like a bright red fohawk, expect some negative attention.

i didnt give him anything he did it himself, and 2 of his friends have actual mohawks dyed blue and green nothings happening to them, nor the other 8 friends who dyed their hair over spring break, just my son and the girl who did the skit this morning

JJJMommyKris
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Why aren't you fighting this suspension? Feels like you are leaving parts of the story out
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Quoting JJJMommyKris:

Why aren't you fighting this suspension? Feels like you are leaving parts of the story out

i plan to, my son wanted to go to the store and get color oops to get the dye out of his hair, i plan to call when i get home

highlandmum
by Spunky on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:38 PM

The more I read this the more I am glad that I am Canadian.  If the colour of a child's hair is the only thing a school has to worry about they must be doing a great job.  Right now it is hockey playoff here so many of the children have their hair dyed - our teams is black and blonde, the other team around here is red and black.  The schools get behind the teams, they get a picture each year of all the boys who have their hair done and post it with good luck wishes to the teams.  Here is a picture of him with his hair dyed, with two teammates behind him also with their hair dyed.  All of these boys go to different schools and have not had any problem with them.  Why worry about hair colour, worry about the students who are actually causing trouble.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured