Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Food pantries

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 167 Replies

Should they be required to give stuff to make complete meals or should people just be happy with what they get?

We brought a few cases of canned veggies we got on sale to our church food bank and my kids and I stayed to help box things up f or the people this morning. The number of people complaining about what they were getting was unreal.

We don't eat beans.  How can you give spaghetti without spaghetti sauce?  Bread and peanut butter but no jelly, what the fuck is wrong with you?  What the hell am I supposed to do with this lettuce and carrots? On and on about the food from about half the people that showed up. Have we really reached a point where beggars think they can complain about what they are given?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
love1nitaboo
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:05 PM

WOW!!!!!:(tsk tsk

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:08 PM
7 moms liked this
If they are complaining they aren't that hungry. Someone who really needed food would take what they could get and get creative and make it into a meal.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:10 PM

That's ridiculous that they complain. Sure it would be nice to have sauce for the spaghetti, but when you're that hungry, you can make do with some butter or parmesan or whatever else you have around, or eat it plain.

icn_mom
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:12 PM

it would make more sense to give things that go together, like pb and j, and sauce with the spaghetti... but thats just my opinion.

lylleve
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:12 PM
I have had to go to the food pantrys before, i was grateful for anything i got, because food is better than no food, especially when u have kids.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this
The only time I complained about what I was given was when we were given a box from the food bank were everything was out of date. Like very out of date. Sorry, but we aren't going to drink milk that expired a week ago, or eat a can of soup that had a date for three years ago...
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:14 PM
I volunteered at a food pantry for four years. I stopped because of the attitude of so many of the clients.

Food pantries typically run solely off of donations. We don't get to go to the grocery store with your grocery list to bring back what you specifically need.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:16 PM

"Since you are so ungrateful, maybe we should just keep it for a family who would appreciate it."

Of course, saying that could spark off something worse. You know there are always going to be those that think/feel like they should be getting all the best when they are begging for food, forgetting that "beggars can't be choosers". 

I've went and picked up the boxes for family members and the only complaint that I have had is that some of the stuff was out of date and they were putting out of date medications in the boxes. I was PISSED about the medications and said something about that. I mean, there were elderly people getting these boxes! My MIL even got MAD at me for throwing the out of date meds away. Said they still could have been used!! Fortunately they stopped doing that. 

AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:17 PM

When donations are tight, it is better to give a dozen families incomplete meals that will at least put something on their stomach, opposed to giving only 4 families "complete meals".

Quoting icn_mom:

it would make more sense to give things that go together, like pb and j, and sauce with the spaghetti... but thats just my opinion.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this
We have had to use food banks before and honestly while I am greatful for what we get it would be easier and better to be given things to make a meal...I have five kids and one time was given 3 heads of cabbage, a box of crackers, a loaf of bread, some beans, Pb, canned veggies, spaghetti, tomatoe sauce, and a kalf of a pie....so for a two hour wait in line I was able to get enough food for 4 meals...but only because I had a pack of sausage in the freezer and a small pack of ham pieces.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN