Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm the man in our marriage?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:04 PM
  • 23 Replies
I work on the car, fix pipes, mow the lawn...things like that. I offered to change the tire on her car and she gasped. Apparently, I am taking away my husband's manhood by knowing how to take care of myself if needed. Do you think it's wrong to do these things instead of having my husband do it?
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamabear55
by sweetheart on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:07 PM

BUMP

momoftwoboys12
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this
No bc what happens if you get divorced or god forbid something happens to him. You woul have to learn anyways
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

When you get sick and tired of waiting for DH to do things, you learn to do them yourself.  It's that simple.  

Mrspotatolips
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Not wrong as long as he helps out with other household duties. I prefer to mow the lawn and DH to do laundry, he does too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamabear55
by sweetheart on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I grew up taking care of that stuff. My husband was better off financially and never had the need to learn. I just have better skills in that area

Quoting Melissa_4:

When you get sick and tired of waiting for DH to do things, you learn to do them yourself.  It's that simple.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:10 PM

this is my view: 

Women can do everything a man can do, but we allow them to do somethings to make them feel appreciated, valued and needed. I much prefer my DH get all dirty and sweaty doing car work and tell him how wonderful and amazing he is 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:11 PM

i could never marry a man who didn't know how to do those kinds of things. I love that my DH is a jack of all trades

Quoting mamabear55:

I grew up taking care of that stuff. My husband was better off financially and never had the need to learn. I just have better skills in that area

Quoting Melissa_4:

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I think whoever is best at it, and hates it least should do it.

I'm better at some things.  For example, No one touches my laundry, since I am a perfectionist and it cannot be wrinkled. 

However, my husband does more mechanical things. I don't have the patience. 

AnHpuresugar
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I grew up with 2 sisters.  We were taught how to be independent and take care of ourselves.  I can mow a lawn, change a tire, fix a broken toilet and other things.  My father learned how to cook and bake and sew.  He does all 3 much better than my mother.  

It is not wrong that you know how to do these things.  How does your husband feel about it?  Does he feel like you are usurping his position as the man in the family?  Does he feel emasculated?  

Personally, my husband loves that I am able and competent.  He is secure enough in his masculinity to know that it doesn't matter who takes care of what issue. He mows the lawn because I hate heat and humidity but I am more than capable of mowing a lawn and will do it if it needs to get done.

I am planning to teach my daughter and son both "masculine" and "feminine" skills. 

mamabear55
by sweetheart on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Not so much the household duties because I'm OCD and hate the way anyone else does things. However, he is a great father and takes my son to the park for 3 hours most days.

Quoting Mrspotatolips:

Not wrong as long as he helps out with other household duties. I prefer to mow the lawn and DH to do laundry, he does too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured