Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So an agnostic opened a homeschool catalog...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 57 Replies

and holy crap! Jesus everywhere! The math section is safe, but EVERYTHING else seems so extremely Jesus saturated. I mean, I don't care if my kid learns about the Bible or people praying, but it's overload!

The penmanship is copying down prayers, or "learning virtues through Bible verses" and it has memory verses.

The Bible section is one of the biggest sections in the catalog.

All the children's science is "Learning about God's Creation or the days of Creation"

The English and reading have stories that "teach values, the power of prayer, missionary stories" etc. etc.

The science presents a "objective and scientific" examination of Creation vs. Evolution, and how "Creation says that life was created for a divine purpose while Evolution is an atheistic view that says life happened by chance".

Social studies and history is again with the missionary stories and focus on how the world needs Jesus.

...and on and on. I'm sure you get what I'm saying.

Is there anyone out there who isn't Evangelical Christian who homeschools? If so what do you do? I mean, Jews? Muslims? Atheists? Pagans even? Anyone? I was just kind of shocked at just how saturatedly Christian it was. Like there's not even enough opening to insert your own beliefs even if you do believe in God but just aren't Evangelical or conservative or Baptist or whatever. 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bonnie555
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Terrifying! 

AllofFive19
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:57 PM

There are secular homeschooling curriculum, magazines and other items as well, but you're right, a lot of it is Christian-based.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Out of curiousity, where? I got Rainbow Resource catalog, and I guess I assumed that since they were such a big company they'd have everything, but only 2 or so out of the 30 science books I looked at were secular at all and those came basically a warning as though it's for granted you'd have to do editing.

I've also looked at A Beka, Bob Jones, CLE, and those I get because those are Christian companies.

Quoting AllofFive19:

There are secular homeschooling curriculum, magazines and other items as well, but you're right, a lot of it is Christian-based.

TSNDDY
by Emerald Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:00 PM
There is secular material available, it's just harder to find. I don't think there are any box curriculums that are secular though?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Caspriel
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Not all curriculums are like that.Most though,yeah...Just have to shop around.

mich.el.le

Quoting bonnie555:

Terrifying! 

Lol

AnnieGoolaheey
by Mrs. Annie Proffitt on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:00 PM
2 moms liked this

We are Pagan and we homeschool. I have friends who are teachers who help me with Curriculum and we also use Time 4 learning.  Religion is not any part of our homeschool.

Lizardannie1966

There are a lot of curriculum's out there that are not Christian based.

Just takes some more sleuthing to find them.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Based on the numbers, most parents that home school are doing so in accordance with their Christian religion, so the catalog is just catering to its main demographic.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN