Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Christian Conservatives and PA:

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 32 Replies

Poll

Question: Well?

Options:

I don't see a discrepancy here at all.

I see a huge discrepancy.

I am a Christian Conservative, but I believe that PA is Biblically mandated.

I am a Christian Conservative and I believe that if someone needs charity they ought to go to my church to receive it. Not to a secular institution.

This does not apply to me, but I want to see the results.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 31

View Results

How do you reconcile your political beliefs about public assistance with your Christian beliefs about charity? I'm genuinely curious.

Biblical Teachings:

Deut. 15:7. If there is a poor man among you, one of your brothers, in any of the towns of the land which the LORD your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart, nor close your hand to your poor brother; but you shall freely open your hand to him, and generously lend him sufficient for his need in whatever he lacks.

Deut. 26:12. When you have finished paying the complete tithe of your increase in the third year, the year of tithing, then you shall give it to the Levite, to the stranger, to the orphan and the widow, that they may eat in your towns, and be satisfied.

Lev. 19:19ff. Now when you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not reap to the very corners of your field, neither shall you gather the gleanings of your harvest. Nor shall you glean your vineyard, nor shall you gather the fallen fruit of your vineyard; you shall leave them for the needy and for the stranger. I am the LORD your God.

Prov. 31:8ff. [Commandment to kings.] Open your mouth for the dumb, for the rights of all the unfortunate. Open your mouth, judge righteously, and defend the rights of the afflicted and needy.

Is. 58:66ff. Is this not the fast which I choose, to loosen the bonds of wickedness, to undo the bands of the yoke, and to let the oppressed go free, and break every yoke? Is it not to divide your bread with the hungry, and bring the homeless poor into the house; when you see the naked, to cover him, and not to hide yourself from your own flesh?

Jer. 22:3. Do justice and righteousness, and deliver the one who has been robbed from the power of his oppressor. Also do not mistreat or do violence to the stranger, the orphan, or the widow; and do not shed innocent blood in this place.

Luke 12:33. "Sell your possessions and give to charity; make yourselves purses which do not wear out, an unfailing treasure in heaven, where no thief comes near, nor moth destroys."

Luke 3:11. And [John the Baptist] would answer and say to them, "Let the man with two tunics share with him who has none, and let him who has food do likewise."

Mt. 5:42. Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:47 PM
You should make a "doesn't apply to me, but I want to see the results" option.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:58 PM

You're right. I added one.

Quoting Anonymous:

You should make a "doesn't apply to me, but I want to see the results" option.

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I'm a Christian & I'm not anti PA at all. I don't agree with abusing it but I was on it for a wee bit *Shrugs*. I do my best to help people now in other ways.

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:01 PM

But I realize I don't know if I consider myself a Christian Conservative. I doubt I am according to most

LuLuThatsWho
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Because nowhere does this say that I should give my hard-earned money to a political institution for them to donate it to the people who they deem worthy.

MamaRae85
by *you're on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I'm pretty conservative, I guess, and while I do believe charitable giving is biblically mandated, I don't believe that it's mandated that the government take care of it. However, I don't see anything wrong with someone using public assistance, if it is available, OR my church, whichever they choose. So, I think technically, none of the choices applies to me.

Did I answer that coherently? lol

Jenn8604
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Im a Christian and I am for helping the poor man. What I am AGAINST is people LYING AND CHEATING THE SYSTEM!!! And getting away with it.
eta: you need that as a choice too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ultra_
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I am a Christian. Moderatley conservative. I technically have no problem with PA. I don't judge anyone solely off the fact that they receive PA. I do think the Bible says for us to help those in need. Be it from the church, or our own personal resources. I'm not sure if it mandates PA from the government. I really don't care though. I'm generous and help people with charity from our church, my personal resources and time. If they get PA, great! My elderly relatives need it. My coworkers get it and good, they need it. I only have a problem with people like my husband has on his side who get $800-$1100 in FS, sell more than half for drugs and feed the 6 kids ramen and froot loops for a month. Because ALL children deserve better.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Mark 12:16-17They brought the coin, and he asked them, "Whose image is this? And whose inscription?" "Caesar's," they replied. Then Jesus said to them, "Give back to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's." And they were amazed at him.

Quoting LuLuThatsWho:

Because nowhere does this say that I should give my hard-earned money to a political institution for them to donate it to the people who they deem worthy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:07 PM

What are your beliefs concerning Christ's answers regarding taxation in Mark 12:14-17? He seemed pretty clear on paying taxes.

Quoting MamaRae85:

I'm pretty conservative, I guess, and while I do believe charitable giving is biblically mandated, I don't believe that it's mandated that the government take care of it. However, I don't see anything wrong with someone using public assistance, if it is available, OR my church, whichever they choose. So, I think technically, none of the choices applies to me.

Did I answer that coherently? lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)