Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Self help for molestation? Helping a friend...

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:02 PM
  • 13 Replies
A good friend of mine has finally confronted her father about the abuse she suffered as a child with him. I'm the only other person that she's told and I want to help her through this. She is refusing any type of professionally and I'm terrified I will say the wrong thing to her. Does anyone know of any good books/texts to refer her to? She's not wanting to tell her mom bc it will just kill her. I think she's looking to close her father out of her life, I know she's looking for closure. I don't know the exact specifics of the abuse- just that it was sexual.

Any advice?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
baquick
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Bump
baquick
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:12 PM
No one?
atyou
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:13 PM
You're a good friend.

Here's a bump!
stickyfingers
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:15 PM
I don't know of anything. But she really does need help. Just listen and maybe tell her you will go with her to a counselor? One thing my counselor had me do is write my father a letter then burn it as a way of expressing myself and then releasing it. I was not sexually abused by him like that tho
baquick
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Thanks. I try really hard- and I'm petrified I will say or do the wrong thing.

Quoting atyou:You're a good friend.

Here's a bump!
reynab27
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:16 PM
i had to seek professional help for YEARS so everyone different but i don't think books are what she needs if it obviously still bothers her till this day
paulswifey11
by TashaL on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:17 PM
I do know what books. Maybe do a search for it.
Bump for being a great friend
baquick
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:18 PM
That's something to consider.
Random thought...
She is catholic- I'm not but maybe I can find a church to take her to and speak to a priest...? Can anyone go into a confessional if they aren't a member of the church? She's 2000 miles from her home church.

Quoting stickyfingers:

I don't know of anything. But she really does need help. Just listen and maybe tell her you will go with her to a counselor? One thing my counselor had me do is write my father a letter then burn it as a way of expressing myself and then releasing it. I was not sexually abused by him like that tho
baquick
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:21 PM
She's 2000 miles from her father right now and I think that's what finally gave her power to confront him. I haven't a clue what the process usually is for this situation. But she needs.... Something. I'm hoping the books/texts are something that will help guide her down any path.

Quoting reynab27:

i had to seek professional help for YEARS so everyone different but i don't think books are what she needs if it obviously still bothers her till this day
stickyfingers
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:24 PM
I don't know because I am not catholic but she might find some healing in going back to church. I know that it really helped me.

Quoting baquick:

That's something to consider.

Random thought...

She is catholic- I'm not but maybe I can find a church to take her to and speak to a priest...? Can anyone go into a confessional if they aren't a member of the church? She's 2000 miles from her home church.

Quoting stickyfingers:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)