Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

no kids at a work celebration dinner??

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My husband is winning an award for the excellent job he's been doing at his company.

They're throwing a celebratory dinner for him, where he'll be presented with an award. Every had to RSVP to it, and he RSVP'd 7, with names and ages, assuming that me, his parents and our 3 kids could come. They just got back to him and let him know that these functions are adults only.

Does this seem outrageous to anyone else? Why shouldn't my kids be able to see their dad win an award, and see the value of his hard work? Furthermore, my parents live across the country, and if his parents go too then I have no one to watch the kids! Why shouldn't I get to go?

WWYD?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Nope. I agree with his work. It's a work function, there for not usually appropriate for children.

CABZS
by Emerald Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Ummm..why is it outrageous?

This is pretty standard & I see no issue.

TeamTARDIS
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this
No way, kids don't belong at a work function. I am kind of shocked you would think they would.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this

It's an important award so parents are explicitly invited. I assumed that if parents were invited children would be too...

It's at a fancy restaurant. My kids are 6, 4 and 8 months. I don't have a babysitter I trust and don't feel comfortable leaving them with a stranger. And for whoever asked, yes, my kids go everywhere with me. 

LucyHarper
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Why would that be outragious? Its a work dinner, they know that it wouldn't be very much fun for kids since its entirely adult geared and don't want a lot of bored upset kids. Get a sitter.

ColieO
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:13 PM
That'd be classy. Totally black tie worthy.

Quoting thetrollcat:

maybe the ceremony is held at chucky cheese????

Quoting ColieO:

Lol.

It's work, not Chuck E Cheese.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:13 PM

meh I just wouldn't go.. My boss understand that if they are mandating me to come to a meeting my husband and child will be coming as I do not drive and it isn't warm enough for them just sit in the car for their 2 hour meets of telling us stuff we already know.

ilovemykids323
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:13 PM

i would have his parents watch the kids. and me and DH would have like a date night with it :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:14 PM
1 mom liked this
If he works at Mickey D s it would be appropriate but that's about it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thetrollcat
by Meow on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:14 PM

oh ya and a fancy evening gown :)

Quoting ColieO:

That'd be classy. Totally black tie worthy.

Quoting thetrollcat:

maybe the ceremony is held at chucky cheese????

Quoting ColieO:

Lol.

It's work, not Chuck E Cheese.

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

It's wrong to be a bully with one exception. It's ok to bully those you THINK are a bully.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)