Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Foster kids (my view on something) EDIT, new edit

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 79 Replies

This girl I know who has been in foster care since she was 8 told me since she has been in foster care for ten years the government is going to pay for her living expenses and college. Now, she is kind of on the slow side, and it becomes clear to you when you have a conversation with her. I don't mean to be mean but I think that is ridiculous. She is clearly not the college type and I don't think it is worth the money for her to get a college education.. wow that sounds bad..but you know what I mean?

Edit: Ok what I mean is, if she wants to go to college that's great, having financial aide is great, I think it's fine if she gets SSI or something, but having EVERYTHING paid for is crazy to me, especially if she has a higher chance of not passing through college anyway?

EDITTTT:: I DID NOT say she should get NO help at all..I said she shouldn't have EVERYTHING paid for. That is it.

New edit : Ok you guys convinced me otherwise, yeah you are right about since she turned 18 what's she supposed to do right away? It is good that she is getting help in the first few years of her adult life to get her on her feet.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CheesyKitty
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:58 PM
2 moms liked this
Without knowing her I cannot comment.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JJJMommyKris
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:58 PM
I have never heard of this. Is she a ward of the state?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:59 PM
2 moms liked this
And its your business because? Its not her fault. And she didn't asked to be abandoned and not adopted. I think its great they give them a chance for college. And just because shes 'slow' doesn't mean she can not get an education
HousewifeNina
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Most states have similar programs.

Quoting JJJMommyKris:

I have never heard of this. Is she a ward of the state?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:01 PM
If she is not college material, she will not get into college. Goverment pays for college for all imigrants as well.?!?!?!? Is it fair?NO!
Life is not fair, get over it.
Mommy2b2many
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:02 PM
3 moms liked this

In normal situations a Parent would care for the child. In her case unfortunately it sounds like there is no one to care for her. I don't see why you have a problem with her college being paid for. I'm assuming it's community college(?).

So many teens get FA for college and just end up wasting the money screwing around; or just fail their classes because they're too busy partying. Why shouldn't she have a chance at an college education and better life? Because YOU deem her unfit? Maybe with College or job training she'll become self relient; would you rather she live on PA forever; never having a chance to make something of herself?

Luna091306
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

It's true. I was a foster child and I received full financial aid as well as a monthly stipend to help pay for living expenses.

2girlsMom.MN
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:04 PM
2 moms liked this

Well she deserves to have some sort of future. I would like to see someone like this girl succeed in life. If not college than some sort of job training etc. 

bellawomen
by Summer on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Why is she unworthy of a degree or certificate?

Should she just be tossed on the streets with a bag of clothes and a check worth sometimes as little as $50 and told to have a nice life? She should be punished for the rest of her life for a beginning she didn't ask for or deserve?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank God the orphans in our country get some benefits.  :(  She has every right to go to college.  It may change her life and help her make something of herself and change her family tree.  Foster kids do not choose to be in foster care.  They do not choose to have the parents that abused or neglected them or to be taken away to age out of a broken system.  They (CPS) take them from their families and basically let them go when they age out.  The least they can do is pay for their college.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)