Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why u no like small babies??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 134 Replies
3 moms liked this
I don't get the disdain for tiny babies. Like, if you don't deliver a chubby 8-9 lb baby there's something wrong with either you or the baby.

I'm always seeing people refer to small babies as frail or sickly or fragile or some other bullshit?

What's up with that??

My youngest was full-term, 5lbs, 8oz and completely healthy. So was I. I didn't smoke or drink. I didn't have hyperemesis or any other health condition. Yet people always say it had to be "something" to "make her that small." Yeah moron, it's called genes.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:23 AM

I had a 6lbs 3oz baby and 5lbs 12 oz. Healthy as horses.

jojo_star
by Jojo on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know. My son was a 36-weeker, 6lbs 2oz. He was totally healthy, but yeah, smaller than normal, though it was a miracle that I made it as far as I did, and that he was as big and healthy as he was. Some people just have smaller babies. 

surferlover
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:25 AM
My baby was 5 lbs 6 oz and healthy. He will a year tomorrow and has never been sick. Hes 16 .7 lbs right now. Dh and I are both small so thats why hes small too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
numonestunar
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:27 AM
My 36 weeker was 6lb 4oz. He had a little jaundice but other than that, perfectly healthy. :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Or you had her at a later age, like in your 30's, which often contributes to lower birth weight in newborns.  I wouldn't assume it as unhealthy though.

littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:28 AM

I like little tiny babies. My son was born at 6lbs 3 3/4 oz and 18 inches. You certainly can't tell now. DD was 7lbs 7oz and 21 inches. I called them eggshell babies. I don't know, we have weird nicknames for everything.

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:28 AM

my baby girl was 6lbs 7oz only 18 inches long, and had such a tiny peanut head. 

numonestunar
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:28 AM
My good friend just had twins. 5lbs 8oz and 5lbs 13oz. They are cutie pies. They look like wrinkly old men. Lol
risaspieces
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:29 AM
I don't get it either. Ds was born at 41 weeks 2 days and weighed 7 pounds 2 oz, which is tiny for my family ( all boys are over 9 lbs). I had hypermesis ( only gained 9.5 lbs during my entire pregnancy, after losing 40) and my family tells me that's why he's so small.

The only time I think a baby might be frail or sickly is if they're less than 5 pounds, just because they're probably premies or mom had complications.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Nope. I was 28. She's just tiny. She's 3 1/2 years old now and weighs 28lbs.

Quoting Anonymous:

Or you had her at a later age, like in your 30's, which often contributes to lower birth weight in newborns.  I wouldn't assume it as unhealthy though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured