Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why u no like small babies??

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I don't get the disdain for tiny babies. Like, if you don't deliver a chubby 8-9 lb baby there's something wrong with either you or the baby.

I'm always seeing people refer to small babies as frail or sickly or fragile or some other bullshit?

What's up with that??

My youngest was full-term, 5lbs, 8oz and completely healthy. So was I. I didn't smoke or drink. I didn't have hyperemesis or any other health condition. Yet people always say it had to be "something" to "make her that small." Yeah moron, it's called genes.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Replies (131-134):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:43 PM

small is low birth weight babies. and tiny is also a 3 pound 5 ounce baby or a very low birth weight baby. because 3 pounds 5 ounces is only 5 ounces from being very low birth weight, that is certainly a tiny baby. 

Kaliary
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:56 PM

My son was 9lbs 2oz, and I really really hope this baby is smaller... haha. My mom smoked when she was pregnant with me, and the doctors told her that it would make me 'small' and she always told them "good!" lol... I was 9lbs 3oz. Sometimes you can't beat genetics. :p 

pregnancy week by week

baby

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2013 at 11:04 PM
I was informed by the head of the neonatal unit that my baby was classified as "low birth weight" for a full term infant. She was in the 1st percentile for weight.

I'm not saying I agree with that, but that's what I was told. It's even in her medical charts.

Quoting Anonymous:

OP-your baby was 5lbs, 8oz, that is not low birth weight so your baby was not small. any baby weighing less then 5 pounds 8 ounces is low birth weight-which is small

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Oh, well then I need to request that they change her records. It says LBW in her file and it should say SGA.

Quoting Anonymous:

Small babies - Low Birth Weight (LBW) or (SGA)

• At full term, the average baby will be about 20 inches (51 cm) long and will weigh approximately 6 to 9 pounds (2700 to 4000 grams).

Small for gestational age (SGA) babies are those whose birth weight lies below the 10th percentile for that gestational age. Low birth weight (LBW), is sometimes used to define a baby that weighs less than 5 lb 8 oz (2500 g) regardless of gestational age. One third of babies born with a low birth weight are also small for gestational age.

Other definitions include Very Low Birth Weight (VLBW) which is less than 3 lb 5 oz (1500 g), and Extremely Low Birth Weight (ELBW) which is less than 2 lb 3 oz (1000 g).

About 10 percent of fetuses are low birth weight. A health care provider may suspect fetal growth restriction if the mother's uterus measurement (fundal height) is lower than expected. This can be confirmed with a series of ultrasounds that will monitor how quickly the fetus is growing.

The main causes for Low Birth Weight:
The two main causes of LBW are early delivery, also known as preterm birth, and poor fetal growth. About 70% of all LBW babies are born preterm - before 37 completed weeks of pregnancy. The remaining 30% of low birth weight babies are born at full term, but did not grow properly in the womb.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)