Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why u no like small babies??

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I don't get the disdain for tiny babies. Like, if you don't deliver a chubby 8-9 lb baby there's something wrong with either you or the baby.

I'm always seeing people refer to small babies as frail or sickly or fragile or some other bullshit?

What's up with that??

My youngest was full-term, 5lbs, 8oz and completely healthy. So was I. I didn't smoke or drink. I didn't have hyperemesis or any other health condition. Yet people always say it had to be "something" to "make her that small." Yeah moron, it's called genes.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Replies (21-30):
kkps725
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:34 AM
5lbs 10oz here...he was born at 39 weeks 5 days and PERFECT!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:35 AM
I think the norm has changed. When I was born (1981), I was 6lbs, 7oz. My mother told me that the doctor indicated that that was average. I've seen my infant growth chart and I was always in the 45-55%. So....average.

NOW, the average is about 8lbs.

When my youngest was born, she was in the 1% for weight. I thought it was ridiculous.

Quoting SheciaBaby:

I feel like when you're 5 feet tall ... Maybe having 6 pound babies is norm..I might be just an idiot though
bi-polarmommy
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:35 AM

i had two 7lb babies, and two 8lb babies - to me they still looked tiny, and i adored them

now they're all too big!  :(

my oldest is bigger than i am

MizzDeeDee
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:35 AM

I don't know about that... my MIL hates "fat babies"... and babies with hair. Yep, she's a special little snowflake.

kirita323
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Whenever I look at the stats in the newspaper, I always see 5-7 lb babies. Mine was 8 lbs 10 oz. I think people are too obsessed with the weight issue. It's about how well they grow and thrive. I do like to hear everyone's stats though and think about how little they are or were.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Dude! Is he tall?

Quoting Anonymous:

If you saw my son (14), you'd never know he just weighed 6 lbs. 10 oz. He weighs 179 lbs. now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:36 AM
I cant say for other people, but i love smaller babies. My friend just had a little girl who was 6 pounds even and just perfect. My son was 10 pounds, now im glad he was healthy and wouldn't want to change his birth weight but im hoping my next baby isnt over seven pounds.
kkps725
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:37 AM
I had my first in December and when women tell me they had a 9+ pounder I shutter. One stitch sucked! I couldn't imagine the damage a bigger baby could have done :/

I'm sorry mama :(

Quoting ghostcat90:

Personally I was hoping for a smaller baby.  Birthing big babies is hard on the mommas and the babies.  My doctor and I fought the whole time I was pregnant because I'd decided that if she was over 8.5 lbs I wanted a c-section.  I was just over 9 lbs and was force delivered and I've got permanent damage from it and I refused to put my daughter through that.  My baby girl came into this world a fabulous 7 lbs 13 oz..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zazayam
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:37 AM

My youngest was born passed 42 weeks and was 6 lbs 3 oz, almost 6 months later she's starting to turn into a chunky monkey but she's still pretty tiny.

Idc what anyone says, she's dainty and perfect. I love a tiny baby <3

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Awww!

Yeah, it's a super weird thing to brag about.

Quoting almondpigeon:

My 34 weeker was 5 lbs 2 oz. Cutest baby ever. Since then, I melt when I see an itty bitty baby. I think they're precious. And I dont understand why women brag about having gigantic babies. It's almost like a badge of honor with some people.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN