Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why u no like small babies??

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I don't get the disdain for tiny babies. Like, if you don't deliver a chubby 8-9 lb baby there's something wrong with either you or the baby.

I'm always seeing people refer to small babies as frail or sickly or fragile or some other bullshit?

What's up with that??

My youngest was full-term, 5lbs, 8oz and completely healthy. So was I. I didn't smoke or drink. I didn't have hyperemesis or any other health condition. Yet people always say it had to be "something" to "make her that small." Yeah moron, it's called genes.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Replies (31-40):
TattedReader
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Yeh..not sure..mine were both tipping the scales at almost 8lbs..it's funny now that you mention it though, when I do see a very small newborn I immediately think to myself "preemie"..and then I think I wonder why they were born preemies? Just the way the thought process works I guess..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ColieO
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:40 AM
My son was 5 lbs 7 oz at 36 weeks and my daughter was 5 lbs 4 oz at 38 weeks. I did have hypermesis with both but they wouldn't have been big regardless. My son is average now, my daughter is 2 and the size of maybe a 1 year old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jennelise83
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:40 AM
My daughter was born at 42w3d and weighed a perfect 6lbs 10oz. She was 23 inches long. At 9 months she is still thin and lanky at 17lbs and 29in long.
Mrs.Pedro
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:46 AM
I don't have disdain for them, I love all babies lol. But I won't lie... For a few months after having my second I was sad because he was so small. All the babies in my family follow a 7.5lb plus(usually 8+ pounds) theme. My first was 8lbs 2oz so I was expecting close to that and so were doctors even though he was always on the small side according to u/s. he came out at 6lbs 10oz at 39 weeks and went down to 5lbs 15oz around 3 days old after the excess water came off from the IV I had. Then when he was 7 months they admitted him for 4 days because he had lost weight, which brought it all back for me after struggling with his gain his entire life. He was always healthy and I see that as an accomplishment. He's almost 21 months now and almost 24lbs, so he's doing really good and developing very well.
melschlegs
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:47 AM

My son was 6 lbs even at birth, and even now, though he's perfectly healthy, he's only in the 18th percentile for weight.  He's never had the "Michelin Baby" rolls, either.  Eh, some babies are naturaly lean, mean, fighting machines! ;)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Yea, both my daughters were 6lbs and 2 oz. One was 11 days late and the other was a day early. They were both healthy and looked good, just small.

Mrs.Pedro
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Oh an there was nothing wrong with me or him during pregnancy except that I had chronic high blood pressure. It wasn't high enough to cause any problems, but it was high enough to concern the doctors once I got farther along despite no evidence of anything being wrong from it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:53 AM
My daughter weighed 7lbs 11oz. Not real small but long
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:55 AM

He's 5'6", a little chubby, but his father was tall (6 ft.) , as were his grandfathers and  great grandfathers (6' 4" or taller), so I'm expecting a growth spurt anytime now.

Quoting Anonymous:

Dude! Is he tall?

Quoting Anonymous:

If you saw my son (14), you'd never know he just weighed 6 lbs. 10 oz. He weighs 179 lbs. now.

happymotherof6
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:55 AM

I love small babies...they are too cute:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN