Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why u no like small babies??

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I don't get the disdain for tiny babies. Like, if you don't deliver a chubby 8-9 lb baby there's something wrong with either you or the baby.

I'm always seeing people refer to small babies as frail or sickly or fragile or some other bullshit?

What's up with that??

My youngest was full-term, 5lbs, 8oz and completely healthy. So was I. I didn't smoke or drink. I didn't have hyperemesis or any other health condition. Yet people always say it had to be "something" to "make her that small." Yeah moron, it's called genes.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Replies (41-50):
RiotPixie
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:01 AM
My youngest DD was 7 lbs 2 oz at exactly 41 weeks. Her brother (5 years 4 months older) was 7 lbs 10 oz at 42 weeks, and her sister (almost 14 months older) was 6 lbs 12 oz at 39 weeks 1 day. All healthy babies.

Quoting risaspieces:

I don't get it either. Ds was born at 41 weeks 2 days and weighed 7 pounds 2 oz, which is tiny for my family ( all boys are over 9 lbs). I had hypermesis ( only gained 9.5 lbs during my entire pregnancy, after losing 40) and my family tells me that's why he's so small.

The only time I think a baby might be frail or sickly is if they're less than 5 pounds, just because they're probably premies or mom had complications.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SheciaBaby
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Yeah well... Guess I'm an idiot. But I might have screamed a little louder if a ten pound baby came out either time

Quoting Anonymous:

I think the norm has changed. When I was born (1981), I was 6lbs, 7oz. My mother told me that the doctor indicated that that was average. I've seen my infant growth chart and I was always in the 45-55%. So....average.

NOW, the average is about 8lbs.

When my youngest was born, she was in the 1% for weight. I thought it was ridiculous.

Quoting SheciaBaby:

I feel like when you're 5 feet tall ... Maybe having 6 pound babies is norm..I might be just an idiot though

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cajun_lady_swla
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:13 AM
Holding something that tiny and light in any species tends to bring about the same reaction. Look at the runt of every litter of puppies. They're always portrayed as fragile, sickly, frail and many other synonyms to each of those terms. These assumptions can be true sometimes, but not always. I've seen many runts end up being the largest of the litter at full maturity.

The further from the due date a little one is born the more alien-like they look in their first days..... Many people are bothered by it simply because they don't "look right". It's all in a person's perception, really.

And it also holds true that mother's who have had tiny babies themselves tend to be more accepting of other pint size bundles of joy. :)

As for myself.... A baby is a baby.... Mine were both over 8 pounds and full term, but I have held and snuggled and oohed and aahed at my friends' 5 and 6 pounders with extra wrinkly skin in the same way I did my own. Even the tiniest little bug eyed alien I've ever seen, just over three pounds and full of tubes and monitors, was so incredibly cute to me. He's four now and aside from having a couple speech impediments he's fine.... And I still call him "bug". :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:13 AM
They can be small without being sickly tho ots obvious the difference. Especially if mom had complications or smoked etc
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Mine got smaller and smaller. My first was a week late and 7lb 5oz, the second was a day late and 7lb, the third was a week early and 6lb13oz and my fourth was 3 weeks early (induced) and 4lb 8oz. She was small but healthy and in the regular nursery in the hospital at birth.

Many big babies are big because their moms have an excess of sugar in their blood from gestational diabetes. That does NOT make the babies healthier at all. In fact, it is bad.

My babies were little because I have a blood clotting antibody that makes the placenta shut down. I'm just happy that all of my babies were not only healthy but highly intelliigent.  Yep, you called it--good genetics--and that has NOTHING to do with birth weight.

ETA: My heaviest baby at birth is now the shortest and smallest! My 18yo was 6lb 13oz but is now 6' tall and 180lb. LOL

rmfanfgljf
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:15 AM

my oldest was also 6Ibs and 3oz, and my middle baby was 5Ibs and 10oz, now my last baby was 7Ibs and 6oz but he was my shortest, all three of my babies were considered full term and were also all healthy, I don't drink or smoke either, so I would love to know why my three kids were born on the small and have remained on the small side.

Quoting Anonymous:

I had a 6lbs 3oz baby and 5lbs 12 oz. Healthy as horses.

raye-chan
by Raye on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:17 AM

My little guy was a 41 weeker. He was 7lbs 7 oz and was pretty healthy, minus the complications during labor and birth. I don't get the notion either. A baby is a baby, no matter its size when born. 

LuLuThatsWho
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:20 AM

My almost 4 month old daughter weighs 10 pounds.  Her twin brother weighs 13.  A lady asked me at the grocery store the other day if something is wrong with her.  LOL.  I said, "No, she's just sleeping..." and walked off.  She is small, but she is on track developmentally.  She only weighed 5 pounds at birth.  I think she is doing just fine.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Char-Bear
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:25 AM

My first was 8lbs 1oz at almost 41wks, we expected our second to be about the same but she came at 35wks and was 5lbs 13ozs. She was healthy and super cute though. I don't understand why people think small babies have problems.

Mrs-Somerhalder
by Blake on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:27 AM

People think fat babies = healthy babies. Oh but they can't be TOO fat or thats unhealthy too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured