Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Committing someone to a mental institution...*Headed home then will answer a few more.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 119 Replies

I work in mental health and commit people to psych units for a living.  It's incredibly sad but incredibly worthwhile at the same time.  I evaluate them in the ER and determine if they are able to go home, get them in touch with outpatient services as needed, help with substance abuse, and sometimes hospitalize them (by their own request or by an involuntary committment).

I'm at work right now and It's kind of slow at the moment.  I have some free time.

So I guess this is one of those "ask me anything" posts that sometimes drive me nuts.  I just figured that some people might have questions especially with everything that has been going on in the national news related to mental health.

So...Ask me anything...I will answer as best I can while protecting the confidentiality of my patients.

I also work with dementia patients, post partum, and teens.

And I have also signed myself into a psych unit in the past.  I think it helps my empathy with the patients though I don't TELL them that I was there, I can kind of anticipate their questions and fears.  Feel free to ask about that too if you like.

I'm headed home now 7:18AM where I'm at.  I'm on page 9 with questions and will answer more as I can when I get home before heading to bed.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:27 AM

What types of disorders do you come across most when admitting those people to mental institutions?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:29 AM
Damnit I was just about to go to bed

Will read in the morning but here's a bump!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:29 AM

I have questions :) So how come when a person who is suicidal (made a threat to kill themselves and how they would do it) makes a suicide threat the police come get them take them to the hospital and the ER nurse says "are you a danger to urself or others" and they just let them go when they say NO. Basically I am just wondering what does it take to get a "family member" involuntary commited. I

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Do you find that alcoholism and mental illness go hand in hand?

CorisMom
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:31 AM
Bump because I'm interested!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:32 AM
1 mom liked this

What's the wildest case you've ever had?

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:32 AM
What should I do when I see someone in public who is schizophrenic and talking to walls etc.? I've taken so many mental health classes but came upon a man who was doing this the other day and didnt know what to do.
Also do they actually still have "mental institutions"? We only have psyc wards here.
Seashell77
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:33 AM
1 mom liked this

What is your professional position ? What's your educational background ?  Do you like your job ? 

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:34 AM
Many people with mental health issues will take to drugs and alcohol.

Quoting Anonymous:

lendales_mommi
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:36 AM

I know this. I am just wondering if she see's more people with mental illness/chronic alcohol abuse than just plain mental illness.

Quoting Retrokitty:

Many people with mental health issues will take to drugs and alcohol.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)