Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Committing someone to a mental institution...*Headed home then will answer a few more.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I work in mental health and commit people to psych units for a living.  It's incredibly sad but incredibly worthwhile at the same time.  I evaluate them in the ER and determine if they are able to go home, get them in touch with outpatient services as needed, help with substance abuse, and sometimes hospitalize them (by their own request or by an involuntary committment).

I'm at work right now and It's kind of slow at the moment.  I have some free time.

So I guess this is one of those "ask me anything" posts that sometimes drive me nuts.  I just figured that some people might have questions especially with everything that has been going on in the national news related to mental health.

So...Ask me anything...I will answer as best I can while protecting the confidentiality of my patients.

I also work with dementia patients, post partum, and teens.

And I have also signed myself into a psych unit in the past.  I think it helps my empathy with the patients though I don't TELL them that I was there, I can kind of anticipate their questions and fears.  Feel free to ask about that too if you like.

I'm headed home now 7:18AM where I'm at.  I'm on page 9 with questions and will answer more as I can when I get home before heading to bed.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:25 AM
Replies (111-119):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:34 AM
This is a real reason why I debated and finally did make this post. I know it's a small scale but people need to know what happens and responsibilities behind the scenes.

I wish I could get more answers out to more people but I'm just a nobody who is gonna listen on a large scale :(. Cafemom is all I have. I just get so mad at all the lies I see in media about this stuff

Quoting Anonymous:

I can garentee you he would NOT have gone home. My hospital eats the cost on over 1000 patients a year because the community mental health won't or can't help.

There is always a risk for mistakes but we try our damndest and safety is ALWAYS FIRST. If a hospital or a person acts otherwise they will and have heard my tongue.

I'm SO angry at this psychologist who saw the Colorado theater shooting guy. We have what is called a "duty to warn" if someone is homicidal but that isn't ALL we are supposed to do...we also need to try and get the people committed. Doesn't sound like they took that step and look what happened. Sure it could have happened anyways but we will never know if that dr. Could have stopped it by just doing a petition and getting him committed not just "telling security"

Sorry. Tangent over

Quoting Anonymous:

Must be a hard job. We have seen people in your profession make horrible, horrible decisions. If you are one of the good ones, it must be hard. By horrible, I mean (specific real example - guy is seeing things, thinks people are there that aren't, is to the point he thinks people are in his house and attic so he's shooting them with real guns, is illegally carrying a gun due to this paranoia, is wanting to kill himself and others, is freaking out and tripping (not drug related) because of what he's thinks is going on and what he thinks everyone is doing to him, is hearing voices, seeing things that aren't there, and is in the public at large like this causing serious issues, all tied to this delusional state he's in. When the person from the mental hospital shows up in the ER with the cops, "oh, he's fine, send him home".

Of course, in this story, that really meant, "oh he's not insured, send him home". I hope you are one of the good ones and would have helped this man. This has happened over and over and over in a larger town near us.

thetrollcat
by Meow on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:16 AM

this is true I am sufferin alittle from stress

Quoting Anonymous:

Nah.  You need to be petted more.

Quoting thetrollcat:

do you think I need to be admitted?

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

It's wrong to be a bully with one exception. It's ok to bully those you THINK are a bully.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Apr. 11, 2013 at 11:29 AM

My father is an alcoholic and he finally realized he had an issue when he fell over, shit his pants and could not get up. He called an ambulance on his own and was in the mental ward of the hospital for a short time. He has not had a drink since, but he then became bi polar and had fits of rage and went on spending sprees. Not at the local Walmart, he liked buying cars and wanted to have a bbq for hundreds of people!! He would get so angry we were worried about my Mother. We talked to the police department and they went to his house and took him to the hospital. He was then in the mental ward again and stayed on his own free will. He got sent to another hospital which was not nice as there were all kinds of mental patients and he did not like this. They finally got him on some medication that has helped with the issue.

He has thin skin and bruises easily, always has to show people his bruises and does not care about anyone else but himself. This gets very frustrating at times, he did this after I had a c-section and he was visiting me in the hospital. He was going around showing everyone his bruises. When he showed me his arm and said look at my bruise, I said "look I just had my stomach cut open and a baby taken out". I know this was not nice, could have been the drugs! I started to laugh which is very painful after having c-section!

He does acknowledge the fact that he had these issues and when talking with him will refer back to the time he went crazy.

He is now constantly complaining about everything, does not like to leave the house and repeats himself all the time, is this part of being bi polar??

Quoting Anonymous:

It really is a toss up.  Quite often I see schizophrenics.  But I would say the most common by far is a depression or bipolar that has gotton out of hand for whatever reason.

Quoting Anonymous:

What types of disorders do you come across most when admitting those people to mental institutions?

sucker4myloves
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Thank you. I keep telling her to leave him even though I know it means he'll kill himself--she can't let him beat her up like that, but she won't do it. I'm going to find out about getting him committed.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't know the specific laws for your state but if you call a local hospital they can help.  Usually there is a petition process.  The one thing they will for sure want to define is if the hitting his wife is related to the mental illness or to the alcohol.  In michigan there are limits to what we can do based on that distinction.

http://tn.gov/mental/legalCounsel/olc.html

Check out this website.  I see forms on there for involuntary committment and you can read those as well as talk to a local hospital or a local community mental health for advice. 

Here in michigan we have Community Mental Health that is responsible for mental health treatment for uninsured.  Its harder to get services then with a private insurance but still possible and often happens.  That is what they are there for.

Quoting sucker4myloves:

My brother suffers from being bi-polar and depression. He recently started hitting his wife. I love my brother more than my own life, and to see him turn into our bastard uncle that raised us breaks my heart. I think he's permafried from drugs done in his life, and he's obviously an alcoholic. He's not in his right head. He lives in TN, so you  might not know the laws there, but can you give me a general idea of what it takes to commit one against one's will? He has no insurance, as it became unaffordable due to his wife's health  issues.

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!
REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

LilySlim Diet days tickers

JenniferLeighLu
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Do run into people who self admit just for attention?  I have family member who will self admit because she wants to avoid some responsibility..ie getting a job.  No diagnosis has been made.  She comes out commenting how there are real crazies in there.  It really irks me people buy into it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:13 PM
Not technically though it could be a manic phase. Sounds like there is a personality disorder component there as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

My father is an alcoholic and he finally realized he had an issue when he fell over, shit his pants and could not get up. He called an ambulance on his own and was in the mental ward of the hospital for a short time. He has not had a drink since, but he then became bi polar and had fits of rage and went on spending sprees. Not at the local Walmart, he liked buying cars and wanted to have a bbq for hundreds of people!! He would get so angry we were worried about my Mother. We talked to the police department and they went to his house and took him to the hospital. He was then in the mental ward again and stayed on his own free will. He got sent to another hospital which was not nice as there were all kinds of mental patients and he did not like this. They finally got him on some medication that has helped with the issue.

He has thin skin and bruises easily, always has to show people his bruises and does not care about anyone else but himself. This gets very frustrating at times, he did this after I had a c-section and he was visiting me in the hospital. He was going around showing everyone his bruises. When he showed me his arm and said look at my bruise, I said "look I just had my stomach cut open and a baby taken out". I know this was not nice, could have been the drugs! I started to laugh which is very painful after having c-section!

He does acknowledge the fact that he had these issues and when talking with him will refer back to the time he went crazy.

He is now constantly complaining about everything, does not like to leave the house and repeats himself all the time, is this part of being bi polar??

Quoting Anonymous:

It really is a toss up.  Quite often I see schizophrenics.  But I would say the most common by far is a depression or bipolar that has gotton out of hand for whatever reason.

Quoting Anonymous:

What types of disorders do you come across most when admitting those people to mental institutions?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Absolutely. All the time. That's a huge difficulty because alot of the times I know they are just taking the bed away from someone who really needs it. When I try and call their bluff though and deny admission it's a toss up if they will accept or actually follow through on threats. I don't want to take the chance so I usually admit them. They are dangerous because they have so much secondhand gain from this.

Usually diagnosed with Borderline personality disorder.

Quoting JenniferLeighLu:

Do run into people who self admit just for attention?  I have family member who will self admit because she wants to avoid some responsibility..ie getting a job.  No diagnosis has been made.  She comes out commenting how there are real crazies in there.  It really irks me people buy into it.

o.0
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:28 PM
My son was diagnosed with clinical depression. Add bullying to that and it was too much for him.

Quoting Anonymous:

I do also work with kids.  Probably the biggest difference I see in kids is that they don't have the option to escape like adults do.  If one of my family members is causing me depression as an adult I can choose to not talk to them...as a kid...I'm stuck in that home.  So alot of the issues are caused due to the environment the kids are in. 

Bullying is a huge issue, sibling problems, abuse from parents.  It's not extremely often that I see a child with an organic depression or chemical imbalance...usually it's situational depression.  That doesn't minimize it by anymeans or mean that any suicidal threats are to be taken less seriously but it changes the course of treament they need to recieve.

Some would say that kids are manipulative but really I see just as many manipulative adults...that come to thnk of it were likely manipulative kids :P

Kids are definately harder to place in a hospital.  There aren't as many resources out there for them in my state.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you work with kids also? And how do their issues differ from adults are they more or less needy.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JenniferLeighLu
by Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Thanks.  I hate to sound heartless.  I've had my own physical and mental issues so, I am so sensitive to people faking.  I felt she is that or narcissistic.   She's just mean, I know that.  I really appreciate what you do.  I know it is hard and rewarding.  It's one of those jobs where the appreciation is low.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)